• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel and AMD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amadues

Registered
I apologize for the vague subject of this post but what can you do?

I'm about to build my own system, and right now I'm thinking of going with a PIV. However, after doing much reading, I begin to think about maybe getting an AMD.

There is something wrong though. I haven't seen a thread that directly states this either. The fastest AMD chip right now appears to be the XP 2400, clocked at around I believe 2 ghz with a 266 mhz fsb, while the fastest Intel chip at an equilavent price (and even for less sometimes) would be the PIV 2.4 ghz with a 533 mhz fsb. Now the obvious buy would be the Intel with 400 more mhz and twice the fsb. To a newbie like me there would be no comparison, but there are a lot of AMD fans for a reason, and that's the question of this thread. What makes AMD chips better (or equivalent) to Intel chips even though their stated specs are usually lower?

Amadues

james.miller

AFAIK the athlon 2400+ performs better, but runs hot.
the p4 2.4 533 runs cooler, performs slightly worse, but overclocks better, so ultimatly performs better.

is really down to weather you want to overclock or not

Hawk

I say that the 2.4 is higer proforming because you can get a lot higher overclock and spend less on cooling.
To answer your statment about "lots of AMD fans for some reason" the performance edge has tened to move between the 2 companies and they are a lot of people who just want to remain loyal to their favorite company. However during this down-turn in cpu market Intel has been able to spend money and move forward with new product launches. This has hurt amd and they are about 1 generation behind and heavily in debt. It willl take a while for them to catch back up....maybe a long time.
IMO

OP
A

Amadues

Registered
james.miller said:
AFAIK the athlon 2400+ performs better, but runs hot.
the p4 2.4 533 runs cooler, performs slightly worse, but overclocks better, so ultimatly performs better.

is really down to weather you want to overclock or not

this has been a response I read a lot, you see, technically, if the 2400 runs hot, it does not perform better than a 2.4 which runs cooler at its rated speed. Asides, how does 2.0 ghz perform better than 2.4 ghz anyways?