• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Atom N280 overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cevap!

Hi guys i am new around here...My name is Nikola and im from Croatia..So im still learning English so if i spell somethin'wrong please correct me and dont spam me as something like "You moron your grammar is really f**(18+)up...."
Hi to you all guys xD....Now on some Croatia forums i heard about sum'extreme oveclockings you know...I tried once but i screwed my 8500gt(yay).And now i found this forum and im really curios about overclocking my AAo(i own acer aspire one d150-b)with Intel Atom N280 and Intel GMA 950.I heard about eeeCTl,SetfsB etc....For graphics i found a solution-GMABooster.But i have sum'problems with it-every time i try to run it(starting from yesterday:shrug:)it says dat' i need update ! WTF ?,i have 2.1 a no update avaiable(blahh im not sure how to spell it :()..So i need you to TRY help me how to overclock it..And finally the last question.What ram do i need to buy ? Is 1 gig enough ?
I REALLY DONT WANT TO BOTHER YOU AND I KNOW I ASK MUCH BUT PLEASE !
Thank you...cevap!

OP
C

cevap!

Fan ? No,I have a originall-stock fan that came with my laptop.But if it means something i made an USB-fan,its not so powerfull,but it is useful..Tnx for trying to help me

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
Yeah... Atoms weren't really meant to overclock... mine puts out enough heat at its default speed.
The most you would see out of it is 2.0 or possibly 2.4 if you were really lucky.

And :welcome: to the forums :)

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
GMAbooster was said to work on some netbook's on XS forums. however the last person that asked about ocing their netbook tried it and it didnt work at all. Ocing a atom is a bit harder in some ways since it isnt a socket-able cpu. Even the nettop's have them soldered, software is about the only way to do it (like with GMAbooster).

Only netbook i know of with ocing options in the bios is the MSI wind first gen. Not sure if that feature got passed on to later models of the wind. most you could expect to see in reality with software ocing is going to be about 1.8ghz maybe 2ghz if the pci/pcie lock works.

OP
C

cevap!

wow ty guys for posting...2.0 ghz is enough for me...al i want is tu run nfs most wanted without some HUGE lagg..and i bought AAO for oc-ing.TNX if you know something about it just post and i'll tell you the results..tnx CompuTamer

pwnmachine

I would strongly suggest you DO NOT OVERCLOCK. Most laptops are usually running close to their Tj max to begin with. Also you may have issues with your bios being locked. Also if you have performance issues with need for speed that is your gpu not your cpu.

OP
C

cevap!

I would strongly suggest you DO NOT OVERCLOCK. Most laptops are usually running close to their Tj max to begin with. Also you may have issues with your bios being locked. Also if you have performance issues with need for speed that is your gpu not your cpu.

Ok..so do I need to buy ddr2 ram and how much ? tNX

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
GPU= VIDEO CARD, and Im not sure you can upgrade one on an atom as I believe they are integrated. Its a netbook, its not meant to play games, nor will it well. Sorry.

SuperDave1685

hi there. Unfortunately, I believe Aspire netbook are locked at the default speed. I have an MSI Wind U100 and I can tell you that I can overclock it to 1.9Ghz with no problem, using the BIOS option.

I use GMA Booster as well. it will always lok for an update unless you contribute to the project to get a CD key to register it. If you don't. It will always look for and want an update. Netbooks are not that great gaming machines, just to be honest. mine has a hard enough time just playing playing flash animations...

OP
C

cevap!

Wow dude you helped me alot.So can you just tell me what i have to do in BIOS ?

pazsion

Registered
An atom can be overclocked, it needs to be cooled and should be done cautiously. Try not to push the temps past 160*F after that it may start melting various things internally and externally. I'm using a samsung n150 hav1us with a "n460" atom. When i used setfsb, and when previous versions of gmabooster worked for my 3150 legitly ( it actually loaded without compatability errors) And i could overclock the RAm, Which overvolted almost everything. It melted the plastic above the cpu.

The HD which was told to use 15 gigs as vram burned out and also blackend and melted the keyboard. The internal GPU interconnect (wires) melted into the cpu interconnect (wires). Temps before it crashed were over 210*F I also removed the ram cover. which ended up being a bad idea. As with only one fan...removeing the cover disrupted the flow of air across the HD and ram and several other components. Which seems to be the main reason other then RAM overclocks for things getting so dang hot.

I couldn't get near the keyboard without burning my fingertips.
Recently with a new board,
I have been much more successful when i left the ram alone. And the system Has been running just fine after using gmabooster. Though it states it isn't compatible for the system.(GMA3150 for this chipset) You can run the profile, and it will overclock it. I see after doing so that the D-fsb will jump around from 144-207 and at times 210mhz. Which means, in theory, that that fsb with a multiplier of 6-10 would be running at 800-2100mhz. Clockgen is what i'm using to determine this, but i can't be sure how accurate it is since i haven't chosen a pll to use to even read the clocks...but the frequencies match.

GMAbooster is free to use, and updates weekly. Thats why it asks you to re-download it. Feel free to donate...what the heck is AAO??

Do not attempt to overclock without turning the fan up in bios and in the power settings. Active cooling will keep it spinning, and it adapts to temps. But won't run much faster. Regardless, Most netbooks will need better cooling and ventilation to go above 1.8ghz.

If you have windows starter, you can't use the 8GB'S of DDR3 ram that the atom allows.
You will need a 64bit OS.

This also must be specified as the mainboard's limit as well. If possible use a stick that supports ddr2 and ddr3 speeds and settings. As several systems use adaptive settings and dynamic FSB. frequencies can and will change along with voltages and temps.

Recently I have not had any success with previously used pll's with either clockgen or setfsb. I'm not sure why. The system just locks up on loading or setting the pll's with a static sound playing over the speakers...classic bad...I shut down with the switch, the third attempt resulted in haveing to re-format the HD. Once the switch did not work so i had to pop out the charger and battery. But it works still thankfully. Obviously i won't be trying this again until i can obain more information and more compatable settings and software. I think the dynamic fsb and variable voltages are causeing the issues.

If you are able to do so, set what you have at half your max achieved. And get a better heatsink and fan combo. Try to get a fan that you can adjust, that's also part of the heatsink. And a fan to feed fresh air across the entire board and ram. Make sure both are able to move a significant amount of air even at low settings. Try to obtain Ram with a heatsink as well.

Most netbooks also have either a cheap SSD HD or a cheap 5krpm HD. Game performance will improve significantly with a 7.2rpm HD and readyboost. And Good 2gig ram stick. Try to get the fastest ddr2 or 3 chip that is supported by the BIOS, mainboard and CPU models you have. Check with the manufacture or use cpu-z or pcwizard.

Not sure if all netbooks or win7 systems have this. but ready boost uses those flat SSD's used often in cameras, Or a usb 2.0 stick. As disk cache. And will significantly increase system speeds. Using the fastest tested cards will help alot.

cracko-x

Registered
i guess the best solution is to start save your money( i know this maybe hard for some people)to get a good desktop. TY.