• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Atom N455 Maximum RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hennmann

Yes I'm still flogging one of these anemic N455 Atom bombs.
It is in an Acer Aspire One AO 533 which originally came with the somewhat pathetic Windows 7 Starter Edition and 1GB of RAM.
Using one gig of ram was pathetic even with this stripped down version of Seven!
Eventually I upgraded it to 2GB which helped considerably to say the least and finally tossed the Starter and am running quite well with Win 7 Home Premium and Ubuntu Linux 64 because this Atom and Acer Netbook also supports 64 bit OS as well.
Now my question is has anybody taken an Atom N455 and attempted to run it with 4gb of RAM?
The specs on this netbook are somewhat confusing due to the fact that it was sold with Win7 Starter and Win 7 Starter only supports up to 2gb of RAM and no more including support for only one monitor as well and no multiple monitor support! Many netbooks using this Atom Bomb were sold with Win 7 Starter and only 1gb of RAM. As a result the only specs are for what it and others were sold with and what Win 7 Starter supports!
Since this little turd supports 64 bit is why I wonder about 4GB of RAM and as most of us know Win 7 is discontinued as of January 14. After I upgraded the RAM for a laugh I installed Win 10 Pro on it and it installed smoothly like it was intended to be in this netbook with NO driver issues or crashes but it performed like the Win 7 Starter with only 1gb RAM! This was the very first 2015 version that I removed and replaced with 7 Home Premium including a Western Digital SSD which really helped performance! I have read the latest 1903 version has been updated with performance improvements as well.

A number of posts on this forum have strongly advised over clocking this Atom Bomb for good reason due to poor cooling at best on these netbooks so I won't bother.
As wagex pointed out about this CPU, if you polish a turd,
It is still a turd but perhaps I can polish this turd with more RAM?

I guess it's wishful thinking on what's possible hoping somebody already tried this approach.
A good example of what is specified and what is reality is on this mainboard:
GA-M68MT-S2 (rev. 1.3)
I ended up with one of these and hoped my FX6300 would work as it fits the socket but as it ends up this is an AM3 not AM3+ like the Rev 3.1 and it wouldn't boot with the FX!
Anyway as for reality this board is rated by the manufacturer of having a RAM limit of 8GB and only 8GB
When I got my MSI 970A SLI Krait Edition I discovered they used the same RAM and I took 16gb and stuck it into the Gigabyte board. Guess what? The board rated at a maximum of 8GB boots up with 16GB and is recognized in the BIOS as 16GB and in Windows and Ubuntu it is also showing and accepting 16GB as well.
I guess the only other way with this Acer and the Atom N455 is to go out and spend $25 bucks and poke and hope. It's an absolute PITA to swap RAM or HHD because you have to pop the latches holding the keyboard in, lift out the keyboard to gain access to 6 screws to be removed so you can flip it upside down and rip the entire bottom cover off! A totally stupid design when the AO532 has two removable covers on the bottom instead of ripping it apart just to pop a RAM stick out and a different one in!

A couple of the local computer shops allowed me to try a 4gb version of the RAM I have installed which is 2GB and all that happened was a black screen and no BIOS post! Since they allowed me to try it I had nothing to lose except my time. At least I know for sure this Cell Phone CPU can only run a pitiful 2GB.

Back