• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

(Intel BOXD975XBX2KR LGA 775) No POST after BIOS changes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Losluchadores

Registered
Motherboard Intel BOXD975XBX2KR: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121059
Link to manual http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d975xbx2/

BIOS I tried to restore with; also the previous one before the problems: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2578&DwnldID=16896&lang=eng

CPU; Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115003

Channel A; RAM 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098

Channel B RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148160

GPU; GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130082

Alright so I was getting my feet wet with OC'ing. I read somewhere to turn down the memory frequency before messing with the FSB; So I turned down the "Reference memory" to I believe 133Mhz, then the "Memory Frequency" to 533 or 677Mhz, something to that effect, the lowest setting. So I exited with changes saved. Changed nothing else.
After exit the thing restarted itself; but didn't post, I figured it was doing something so I left it alone for about 10 minutes. Nothing.
Restarted. Then 3 equal length beeps; and every attempt after. I checked the manual (link above, then under technical documentation). I can't recall for sure; but I believe the beeps were there the first restart.
Manual says "3 beeps = no memory." So this left me wondering if it means my RAM was blown, or if something went wrong with the BIOS or Motherboard.
I went optimistic, tracked down a floppy drive; and put the Recovery BIOS Update [BX2838P.BIO](BIOS DL page link above) on a floppy from a school computer after formatting the floppy. I formatted one, put the file on; then quick formatted another and put the file on.
Got home; pulled the jumper off my Mobo so it was in recovery mode, popped the floppy in, 3 beeps. Disconnected all other possible boot devices, tried again; 3 beeps. That is with both floppys.

Throughout the screen remains completely blank. Monitor does not even get the signal to come out of standby.

Everything else seems fine; no funny sounds, all the fans keep working.
I'm new to most things BIOS and Mobo Hardware, so I did everything I knew how to do. I'm ready to head back to school to seek out the ancient floppy drive equipped computers and try this http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92579. Last time I just threw the file on the floppy, maybe that wasn't enough.

I really appreciate any help you guys can provide me with; if you need any information please let me know what it is and I will do my best to provide it. I'm ready to try most anything. I'll check in as much as I can; but without mine working, getting on a computer is going to be situational.
On another note; if it's a lost cause, then I'll be looking for a new mobo and CPU, that is cheapish and easy to overclock for a first timer(something with a straightforward BIOS), and if the RAM I have is supported, try that out and hope it works. $400 would be ideal; but I could make $500 happen.

-Joe

Brolloks

Benching Senior on Siesta, Premium Member #8
Hi Joe

:welcome: to Overclockers.com's Forums

It sounds like you jumped a bit much on your 1st OC and you cannot boot into default mode. So put the jumper back, pull the floppy out, reset the CMOS and start again, if you get the same issues remove the CMOS battery for say 5 minutes, put it back and give it another try. My hope is that you did not accidentally mis-flashed the bios and now the bios chip is corrupt.

Did your setup work fine with default settings?

Also take some time to read through this detailed yet very helpfull guide on how to overclock dual cores (C2D's)

Please feel free to ask for help, unless one of your components are defective we can help you set it up and OC to it's limits.

OP
L

Losluchadores

Registered
It had been flawless on default settings for about 3 years. No blue screen; froze maybe a few times, which I would say arose from turning graphics in games up way higher than I should have.

All roads are leading to a corrupted chip. I did some reading between classes today; and that seems to be the deal.

Resetting the CMOS is certainly doing nothing for me.

I just wonder how this happened since there was no BIOS flashing taking place.

Also I cannot get a response from my floppy, whether I have a DOS boot disk, or a BIOS update setup to Intel's BIOS recovery specs on the floppy.

I guess I need to start looking into new hardware.

If anybody has any idea's though; I'm happy to try them out.

burningcpu

Mobo Cooking Member
I don't think you screwed up the bios. When you set your memory frequency much too low, your computer wasn't posting, and was generating the ram error. Then, when you restarted the computer with the floppies in, it still wasn't posting. If it didn't post, it couldn't run the flashing utility.

How are you clearing the CMOS? Are you putting the jumper to the clear CMOS position and then waiting a while? Verify that you are doing the right pins.

OP
L

Losluchadores

Registered
Oh yeah; pulling the jumper clean off (to recovery mode). Unplugging the PSU and hitting the switch to off, then pulling the CMOS battery our for 15 minutes. I even pulled the battery out over night; when I got back to it same deal.

My MB has Normal, Configuration, and Recovery jumper settings. I feel like the things has to of reset if it was ever going to. It won't read the floppy no matter what mode it's in.

I'm probably going to try the same things and ensure I'm doing them correctly a few more times.

I also tried the keyboard in the ps/2 and quickly pressing f2 to get into my BIOS; but nothing.

burningcpu

Mobo Cooking Member
Alright dude, so I did some looking, and I think you are just not clearing the cmos fully. When you take the jumper all the way off you are not clearing the CMOS. Try moving the jumper to the 2nd and 3rd pins, and then turn on the computer. This will take you to some mode that auto loads the default configuration.

If that does not work, you need to take out the CMOS and let it sit for 1 hour. This is the only way to clear the CMOS settings. On most boards this would not be necessary but it looks like the xbx does not work like most boards. On most boards there is a position that you put the jumper and it creates a short that rapidly clears the values.

Seriously dude, try this out, I bet it will fix it.

Last edited:

DocClock aka MadClocker

You might want to consider a different brand of mainboard as Intel is notorious for not having clocking options...the only exception that I know of is the "Skulltrail". I don't remember the model number, just that it has a server chipset with overclocking options...or more accurately, a modified server board.
The more popular brands for overclocking would be Asus, Gigabyte, maybe Asrock (I have no experience with Asrock myself), EVGA to name a few. Intel boards are the most stable on the planet when it comes to an Intel cpu running at stock speeds, but would never allow overclocking.
If your Intel board has overclocking options, then we are in a whole new era with Intel finally joining the overclocking club.

burningcpu

Mobo Cooking Member
This thing is actually an older board.

I used one for my first build, and it is in my wife's computer atm. It does 450 or so FSB, and had all the standard overclocking options.

My e6600 has been running at 3.5~GHz on it for 3 years now. I think I paid like $210 or something like that for it from the egg. I bought it thinking that an Intel made MB surely would be best for overclocking an intel cpu. Lol.

OP
L

Losluchadores

Registered
Alright dude, so I did some looking, and I think you are just not clearing the cmos fully. When you take the jumper all the way off you are not clearing the CMOS. Try moving the jumper to the 2nd and 3rd pins, and then turn on the computer. This will take you to some mode that auto loads the default configuration.

If that does not work, you need to take out the CMOS and let it sit for 1 hour. This is the only way to clear the CMOS settings. On most boards this would not be necessary but it looks like the xbx does not work like most boards. On most boards there is a position that you put the jumper and it creates a short that rapidly clears the values.

Seriously dude, try this out, I bet it will fix it.

Wow seriously; I do not know how I missed that; I could have sworn I booted it in the 2-3 jumper for the configuration mode. I guess what I messed up was I tried that before I popped the battery out and reset the CMOS. But thank you so much. I have some things to fix now.

Brolloks

Benching Senior on Siesta, Premium Member #8
Maybe if you had read my 2nd post more carefully where i said remove the CMOS battery you would have caught that right from the start...anyways, glad you got it sorted

OP
L

Losluchadores

Registered
Ha; I appreciate it Brollocks. I did do what you said. 1-2 is normal 2-3 is config no jumper was recovery. Had I tried config after the CMOS reset like you said I would have had it.

Anyways; as you can see (by my sig) I already ordered some new stuff from newegg. I actually have already sold this mobo, CPU, 6GB memory and an old monitor + $130 in new stuff to build my friend a comp, who just wants itunes and an internet browser for $280.

So I kind of forgot to thank everybody because I was overcome with excitement of not using my roommates com anymore. I appreciate anything and everything you all contributed to help me out.
Hopefully I can have some success with oc'ing what's shipping from newegg; in the meantime I have read MIAHALLEN's i3/i5/i7 oc guide. I'm going to read as much as I can. I'll have plenty of questions for you guys when I get down to it. Will probably need to translate some BIOS options to match the names used in his guide for me.

Again thanks a ton guys.

DocClock aka MadClocker

Wow, 1st off, glad to hear you got it figured out...and for the Wow...I have always stayed away from Intel boards from the start because of the lack of overclocking options..and your board actually allowing you to change the bus speed is really saying something.
Intel has always frowned upon overclocking, for 1 reason: back in the early Pentium days (probably started with the 486dx), people figured out how to get a P66 to run like a P100, by changing the multiplier, or raising the bus speed or both...but some unscrupulous dealers were overclocking & remarking them to reflect the faster speed, like marking a P100 as a P133 and selling it for the premium price that a P133 would get, which gave overclocking a bad name as far as Intel went.
It left Intel with a bad taste for overclocking that stayed for a long time.
Now that Intel has relaxed and finally embraced overclocking (I hope), then I will reconsider my purchase options, because like I said before, Intel boards are the most stable at what they are advertised for...I mean I never seen an Intel board just go out or quit working.
BTW: that's not a bad overclock...E6600 is a 2.4g right?

OP
L

Losluchadores

Registered
Yeah it is 2.39Ghz to be overly specific. It has memory speed adjustments, and FSB speeds; along with voltage for memory and CPU. I'm fairly certain the board has all the options needed to OC. I raised the FSB from 266 - 277 and things were working fine. It's when I tried to get involved in the memory that things went awry.