• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Celeron D 330, 3200+ Newcastle, or 2500+ Barton? (It's 2003 again!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Freezer7Pro

(Posting this in AMD, as I think it's mostly related to those processors)

So, I've got this junker computer that's stationed at my workbench for checking datasheets, acting as a WLAN-LAN bridge and such. It's currently got a 12,90€ Celeron D 330 (2,66GHz Prescott with 256kB cache and 533MHz FSB), which feels really rather slow when scrolling through big PDFs and viewing/resizing big pictures. Do you think there would be any performance increase by replacing it with a Socket 754 3200+ (2,2GHz Newcastle version, ADA3200AEP4AX), or a 2500+ Barton that I can push to about 2,3-2,4GHz?

Unfortunately, the 3200+ has an OEM motherboard and can't be overclocked at all, the same goes for the Celeron. A shame, knowing how well Prescotts clocked.

Bobnova

The 3200+ will be best without OCs, the celeron should perform roughly like a 2500-2600+ athlon.
Now if you could OC, that celeron (especially if it's a 775) ought to OC like crazy, 3.5-3.6 at least i'd imagine, putting it a bit ahead of the 3200+ at the cost of power consumption.

The OC'd barton will probably still be behind the newcastle, but it's hard to say.

OP
Freezer7Pro

Freezer7Pro

The 3200+ will be best without OCs, the celeron should perform roughly like a 2500-2600+ athlon.
Now if you could OC, that celeron (especially if it's a 775) ought to OC like crazy, 3.5-3.6 at least i'd imagine, putting it a bit ahead of the 3200+ at the cost of power consumption.

The OC'd barton will probably still be behind the newcastle, but it's hard to say.

The Celly is a 478, and unfortunately is locked to the OEM mobo I have, giving it absolutely no overclocking functions at all. So I guess the 3200+ is the way to go, unless there are any objections. With that one I also get an integrated graphics card, so I can finally dump this half-broken Geforce FX 5200 that crashes when you nudge the VGA connector :D

Bobnova

They probably wanted the cooling to be more direct.
The main goal of modern lids is to protect the die, i believe the K6 was AMDs first flip-chip (die on top) processor, and they put a cap on it for protection.

OP
Freezer7Pro

Freezer7Pro

They probably wanted the cooling to be more direct.
The main goal of modern lids is to protect the die, i believe the K6 was AMDs first flip-chip (die on top) processor, and they put a cap on it for protection.

Perhaps. Sounds reasonable.

Anyhow, I put the 3200+ in the computer, and it's pretty much twice as fast as the 330 in Linpack. Couldn't be happier, it's far nicer to use the computer now.

Thanks for the help!

Bobnova

In the great battle of P4 era CPUs, the Athlon reigns supreme :D
Glad i could help!

Wayward_Son

I still have my 3700+ Sandy! Ran that thing at ~2.9 daily for about a year. Still have it sitting here, unproductively. Loved that chip. Overclocked better than my Opty 170 on the same motherboard.