• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Chipset Info Utility - Needed with W7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

Is there any gain to installing the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility when using W7 32 bit?

The Intel web site does list W7 32 bit as a supported OS but I just want to verify that running this ustility is the right thing to do.

Neuromancer

From a performance standpoint yes. Always update drivers.

From a reliability standpoint, not sure how MS works, would think they they only update to the latest fully stable drivers, and not just whenever they feel like it.

However, MS drivers are not always reliable, using MS update borked many an install updating realtek drivers :s

[email protected]

Inactive Moderator
From a performance standpoint yes. Always update drivers.

From a reliability standpoint, not sure how MS works, would think they they only update to the latest fully stable drivers, and not just whenever they feel like it.

However, MS drivers are not always reliable, using MS update borked many an install updating realtek drivers :s

Just this past weekend I had to format and reinstall 2 client machines... I backed up their data onto one of my machines and while doing so I decided to do windows update on my computer... there was an ATI display driver update that Windows update wanted to install for a while now, and I figured WHY NOT GIVE IT A GO just for gits and shiggles.

Anyway, my Windows 7 RC tanked... I could get to desktop, but the screen would go BLANK within a short amount of time. LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIG, SAFE MODE, nothing would help... SAFE MODE worked, but I couldn't uninstall ATI stuff from CP in Safe Mode. System restore only gave me a day prior to restore to, and still that didn't fix the problem.

I'm not sure if it was the viruses on the client's data that I was backing up, or if it was the ATI update from within Windows Update, but even my keyboard wouldn't respond to the machine when the screen was blank. I always hit CAPSLOCK as a test to see if the CAPSLOCK light turns off and on...

I will never trust Windows driver updates again. I could be wrong and the problem may have been a virus on my client's data, but I've had issues with Microsoft's driver updates... I'll only do them if I have NO OTHER AVENUE.