• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Core i5-4210Y processor running only at 0.59Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mchcreations

Hi

I have a Dell Laptop with an Intel Core i5-4210Y processor. The processor should run at 1.5Ghz with turbo up to 1.9GHz.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i5-4210Y-Notebook-Processor.102730.0.html

For the last month I notice my computer incredible slow, 1080p YouTube videos won’t play smooth in fullscreen for example. Checking my CPU with different utilities I saw that no matter what I’m doing it is always at 0.59Ghz only. Even I tried cinebench and other intensive tasks and nothing. That’s why is running so slow. It checked online and I saw plenty of people with the same problem but no solutions.

What I know:
- It’s not a hardware problem or a limitation of the chipset or BIOS because if I restart in safe mode the processor is running at 1.5Ghz as it supposed to.
- I tried ThrottleStop but it says that my processor speed is 0.59Ghz max and no throttle.
- I read people saying is due the Intel Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework. In settings power limit and acoustic limit are both at 5 and TDP level is correct. I tried to uninstall and still at 0.59Ghz, and reinstall latest version and nothing.

I’m quite sure formatting and reinstall windows might solve the problem, but if possible I would like to avoid that. Any ideas how could this be fixed?

Thanks

RJARRRPCGP

Hi

I have a Dell Laptop with an Intel Core i5-4210Y processor. The processor should run at 1.5Ghz with turbo up to 1.9GHz.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i5-4210Y-Notebook-Processor.102730.0.html

For the last month I notice my computer incredible slow, 1080p YouTube videos won’t play smooth in fullscreen for example. Checking my CPU with different utilities I saw that no matter what I’m doing it is always at 0.59Ghz only. Even I tried cinebench and other intensive tasks and nothing. That’s why is running so slow. It checked online and I saw plenty of people with the same problem but no solutions.

What I know:
- It’s not a hardware problem or a limitation of the chipset or BIOS because if I restart in safe mode the processor is running at 1.5Ghz as it supposed to.
- I tried ThrottleStop but it says that my processor speed is 0.59Ghz max and no throttle.
- I read people saying is due the Intel Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework. In settings power limit and acoustic limit are both at 5 and TDP level is correct. I tried to uninstall and still at 0.59Ghz, and reinstall latest version and nothing.

I’m quite sure formatting and reinstall windows might solve the problem, but if possible I would like to avoid that. Any ideas how could this be fixed?

Thanks

Sounds like a cheapo laptop that overheats at stock clocks. I would send it back!

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Not sure its a windows issue in the first place...

I would first try making sure temperatures are in order. When you first boot, look at temperatures and clockspeeds. What does the BIOS say the clockspeed is?

OP
M

mchcreations

Thanks all for your responses

Sounds like a cheapo laptop that overheats at stock clocks. I would send it back!
But that doesn't explain why it didn't do before, and why in safe mode is working perfectly fine.

which os? what options do you have in the bios?
Windows 10. At the bios I dodn't have any option related with clock speeds, fan speeds or anything that might affect. The only thing I can disable is Intel SpeedStep.

The weird thing is fan almost never run and temperatures are really low. Even if I try to streess the system with cinebench.

Update 1: I installed the Intel Extreme Tunning Utiity. In the main screen it shows Throotle 100% continiously. It doesn't let me change clocks.

Update 2: I became crazy triying everything, I updated again the Intel Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework, i tried to disable SpeedStep, I tried again with Throotle stop unchecking BD Prochot and laying with some options, and I tried as well with IntelXTU. I don't know what I did that worked but is fixed. Processor went back to clocks between 1.6 and 1.7Ghz. Temperatures go high again, and fan sometimes run loud. No shutter in youtube fullscreen and definetly it feels way faster. I restarted and is still working normallywithout launching throtleee stop or any program.

I hope it won't happen again.

Thanks for trying t help.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
If it's not overheating then I would reinstall Intel ME + chipset drivers and check if setting high performance power plan is helping to keep stable high clock. In safe mode drivers are not working so CPU runs at high clock all the time.

Also if you were playing with throttlestop and made it wrong then CPU could stuck at lowest ratio. You can cause CPU to disable power states using this soft and sometimes you won't unlock it easily by simply reinstalling OS.

unclewebb

The Real Temp Programmer
Also if you were playing with throttlestop and made it wrong then CPU could stuck at lowest ratio. You can cause CPU to disable power states using this soft and sometimes you won't unlock it easily by simply reinstalling OS.

Changes made in ThrottleStop are not permanent. If you do not know what you are doing and you screw something up, turn your computer off and restart it. This resets the CPU to its default settings. ThrottleStop does not make any changes in the bios, it does not make any changes to Windows and it does not add anything to the registry. You should never have to reinstall your OS because of any settings you changed while using ThrottleStop.

In the other forum that mchcreations posted this question, I told him that it is likely a bad temperature sensor on his motherboard. If this is the problem, using ThrottleStop to disable the BD PROCHOT signal path usually fixes things. It is not a sign that the CPU is overheating. Just a sensor that is sending bad data to the CPU which forces the CPU to start thermal throttling and running at its minimum speed. Disabling the BD PROCHOT signal path prevents these signals from getting to the CPU so it can run at full speed. This is a common laptop problem but it can also happen on some desktop boards too.

The other possible problem is that on some Dell laptops, when SpeedStep is disabled in the bios, there is a safety feature where the CPU will boot up at the lowest multiplier. In this situation, there is no easy way for the CPU to get back up to full speed because SpeedStep is disabled. Both are common problems and ThrottleStop can be used to fix either one of them.

I hope it won't happen again.

It most likely will happen again. Completely power down your laptop and do not run XTU or ThrottleStop and see what speed it is running at. Some laptops are set up to use the Windows hybrid reboot or fast startup feature. When using this, some of the registers in the CPU will not be reset to their default values. If you use ThrottleStop to disable BD PROCHOT, it may stay disabled until you do a full reboot and then the stuck at 0.59 GHz problem will return.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
I thought that too but on my Skylake based laptop I lost one low power state after I disabled it in throttlestop. After reinstalling Windows some time later it was still missing. I mean like in windows power options it reads 2 states for normal and low power mode ( 16 and 47W or something for 6300HQ cpu ). I had only that higher power option on the list. I have no idea why it was acting like that but I just say that if someone doesn't know what is doing then shouldn't play with this soft. Maybe it was related to something in my laptop, I don't know. I set it back later and all works fine.