• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Core i7 6700K - Gigabyte Z170 Gaming K3 OC progress.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Torkkel

Registered
Hello ! I bought an upgrade to my setup last week and now when i see that everything is running stable and have been running for almost a week i decided to start overclock it some.

Ivé been tyring to find a thread with the same CPU and MOBO that i do that also overcloking his setup without any luck.

So now im asking you guys for help.

My setup now is

Fractal Design Define S
Corsair CM750M
Gigabyta Z170 Gaming K3
Intel Core I7-6700K @4Ghz
Corsair H60 ( Watercooler )
Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4 4x4 2400MH
crucial bx100 250gb

Iam new to Intel been stupid enough to run AMD for a while ( sorry for everyone who run AMD.. <3 )

My goal for now is to get it to 4.6ghz atleast then i will go from there. my cpu cooler should be able to handle 4.7-4.8 what i have been finding online about the CPU itself.

All help is appreciated !

Regards, Torkkel

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Set Vcore to 1.35V, multi to 46 and see if it boots and is 'stable'. Welcome to Intel overclocking. :p

If it isn't stable, try adding a bit more voltage. If it is stable (and by stable I mean run a stress test against it for a few minutes) lower voltage... rinse and repeat. The goal with overclocking of course is to use the least amount of vcore for a given clockspeed. Once you settle in on a given voltage, then go longer term on the stress test (a few hours).

OP
T

Torkkel

Registered
Thanks !!

Currently trying 4.4 with " Auto " on Vcore. But if it stays this way for around 15 min i will try what you said. Will be updated thread during the evening !

ElricM

Registered
I think we are starting to see more variability in the 6700Ks. Mine had to go all the way to 1.4v to get stable 4.6, and I don't really want to run that high for day to day. But, I can run 4.5 at 1.32v, which of course keeps the CPU cooler even under load. So, at least for mine, pretty steep voltage curve starts after 4.5.

OP
T

Torkkel

Registered
Don't use auto. It tends to overvolt in favor of stability. ;)

What Stress Test program do you recommend ? I heard that the new prime95 can " overpush " and break cpu ? Is that even true ?

Going at 4.5 ghz now but as soon as i start prime95 it goes down to around 4,2-4,3 ghz :S

ElricM

Registered
What Mobo do u have ?

Asus Z170-A - full configuration is in my signature. From what I've read, no real variation in OC's based on Z170 motherboards, as long as you are setting the important stuff (core multipliers, voltage, memory timings, etc.) manually.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
What Stress Test program do you recommend ? I heard that the new prime95 can " overpush " and break cpu ? Is that even true ?

Going at 4.5 ghz now but as soon as i start prime95 it goes down to around 4,2-4,3 ghz :S

IBT,OCCT, AIDA64, Realbench I've heard works pretty good

OP
T

Torkkel

Registered
OK. for some reason when i start a " stress program " my cpu go down to 4.2-4.3 ghz. I have turned everything OFF that has to to with overheating and overvoltage and that stuff.

My temp have not went higher than 64 degree

ElricM

Registered
OK. for some reason when i start a " stress program " my cpu go down to 4.2-4.3 ghz. I have turned everything OFF that has to to with overheating and overvoltage and that stuff.

My temp have not went higher than 64 degree

I don't know for Gigabyte, but I know for my Asus, I had to set the "Core Ratio Limit" for all four cores to the multiplier that I wanted. Seems to have worked, they all stay locked at 4.5 under heavy load.

Also, what app are you using to measure the cpu? Not all are accurate, and I normally rely on a few when I'm testing - currently RealTemp, HWMonitor, and HWiNFO64.

OP
T

Torkkel

Registered
i just read about that. Im going to try that now.

Im using CPU-Z

Update : Setting all cores to 45 did not help eaither.

Any other ideas ?

ElricM

Registered
i just read about that. Im going to try that now.

Im using CPU-Z

Update : Setting all cores to 45 did not help eaither.

Any other ideas ?

I don't know Gigabyte boards/BIOS, so can't compare parameter by parameter.

Are all 4 cores dropping, or just some of them?

What do you have your CPU voltage set to, and is it staying steady during the test?

At least for right now, if you haven't already, I'd disable speedstep and turbo mode. Also hyperthreads. You can turn them back on later when you have a stable configuration that is behaving the way you expect it to.

Other than that, I'd double check every setting that says "Auto", and skeptically think about whether I trust it, or not.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
If you are using HT, do NOT disable it when trying to find a stable overclock... you will, more or less, have to start over as enabling HT will require more voltage at the same clocks. If you can enable HT on the same voltage as without, then you weren't using the least amount of voltage possible for that clockspeed.

Last edited:

ElricM

Registered
If you are using HT, do NOT disable it when trying to find a stable overclock... you will, more or less, have to start over as enabling HT will require more voltage at the same clocks.

Agreed, you'll have to retest/adjust, but personally when I'm doing a new system that's behaving unexpectedly, I try to remove as much extraneous stuff as possible until I fool myself into thinking I know what is going on... :p

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Just leave it on when testing your OC... saves time if that is the only thing (it isn't, LOL!).

Anyway, the OP - Your board... isn't exactly the greatest for overclocking. I am wondering if that VRM area can even handle it honestly. Perhaps try with less voltage (dont use auto!!!) and lower the clocks and work your way up.

OP
T

Torkkel

Registered
i just tyed 4.4 ghz starting from 1.32V going up to 1.35 without getting it anywere near stable. As soon as i start OCCTP my comp freeze.

I might be tierd or stupid. What is HT ? xD

Thanks for help

Update : I kinda have to love Intel ehh ? still to used to AMD

Now on 4.4 Vcore on 1.310 and is around 60-65 degree. HT is hyper threading ? If thats the case it is on ! will come back with an update once i se it is stable at 4.4. Will run it for the rest of the night untill i go to bed. So might first be back sometime tomorrow afternoon..

Thanks for all the help so far guy and update this thread tomorrow !!

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Hyperthreading... your CPU has 4 physical cores and 4 more 'threads' totaling 8 threads (with four real cores).

wingman99

What AMD's CPU's don't have full cores or real cores, it's been a long time for me in this subject?