• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel cores

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Top Hat Theater

I've been hearing things about cores like Yamhill and Prescott but I don't know too much about them. Can someone enlighten me as to what cores Intel's working on and give a general description about them?

~THT

raven

Hey THT.. . well the prescot is the new chip that Intel is working on. It is supposedly to come out next summer and should start around 3.2 if im not mistaken. and it is also going to support the new HT technology. the yamhill i dont know too much about but from what i hear it is supposed to be comming out after the prescot? im sketchy on the details of that..

Hope that somewhat helped.

imgod2u

Yamhill, at least according to the rumors, was sort of a "rogue project". That is, a director at Intel originally proposed and started the idea of bringing 64-bit extensions into the P7 line of processors (the P7 lines starts with the Pentium 4). The project was officially canned however, that didn't stop the team that was working on it from including it in the design of the upcomming Prescott core. The design is incomplete and disabled, and will probably never see the light of day as the team has surely stopped working on it by now.
Prescott is the next generation in the P7 line of processors (the Pentium 4 being the first). It will be a revised core with several enhancements including a newly revised version of Hyperthreading, more cache for the processor and many other, currently unknown enhancements including an "SSE3" for lack of a better term. It is set to debue in Q2/Q3 2003 at a rumored 3.2 GHz and set to scale to 5 GHz.

NookieN

Prescott is the successor to the Northwood core in the P4/Netburst line of chips. Some of its new features will probably be 1meg of L2 cache. .09u process size, new instructions, HT enhancements, and faster arithmetic.

Tejas (there IS an 's') comes after Prescott. Of course it's still completely in design, but it could be out in 2004 sometime.

Banias is Intel's first processor designed specifically for Notebooks. It is supposedly faster than Northwood at most tasks but consumes half the power. I think they're hoping for notebooks with 4-5 hour battery lives initially.

Granite Bay, if I'm not mistaken, is the name of a motherboard that supports dual channel DDR. The chipset that enables DCDDR is called Springdale.

Of course, these are just codenames and will be changed when the products launch.

markodude

I would probably stick a 2400+ or higher in your 8k3a, and forget about the P4 for now. With your rig you should be able to unlock the processor and run it on something like 200x12 for 2.4ghz. I reckon that will be faster than alll but the best Intel rigs

OP
T

Top Hat Theater

Well, if the 2400s have matured/better steppings released by the time I'm ready to upgrade, I'll probably do that. My main machine likes to be overclocked but this stupid CPU won't unlock any more...I had it running at 173x12 before it refused to boot when unlocked. Now whenever I unlock it and put it in, my motherboard reads it as a dead CPU regardless of what I do.

~THT

imgod2u

Granite Bay is the upcomming Dual Channel DDR chipset for the P4 on a workstation level (the E7205 chipset I think it's called). It will support a 133MHz QDR FSB and dual channel 133MHz DDR memory (PC2100). Springdale will be the dual channel DDR chipset for Prescott comming out next year. The major difference will be that Springdale will officially support 166MHz QDR FSB (that Prescott uses) and probably 166MHz DDR SDRAM (PC2700).