• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel CPU Stickies (condensed)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Divey said:
ok guys im new at this (laugh all you want). i have a pentuim d dual core 2.8ghz. its a dell xps 400 system. it just doenst seem to as fast as i thought. i read all the articles but dont understand how i would overclock mine. any suggestions anyone.

Well with the fact that it's a Dell; that's your problem. The BIOS's that come with any pre-built machine are severely nudered versions of their retail conterparts. I'v enever tried oc'ing a Dell, but i know their bio's suck for it. You'd have better luck with a system you built yourself.

phantasm said:
Well with the fact that it's a Dell; that's your problem. The BIOS's that come with any pre-built machine are severely nudered versions of their retail conterparts. I'v enever tried oc'ing a Dell, but i know their bio's suck for it. You'd have better luck with a system you built yourself.

now would it be easier to by a new motherboard and a couple of other minor replacements to do it. or would it be easier to build a new computer.

jazztrumpet216 said:
I'll say it again- sale of an ES is ILLEGAL. ES chips are "signed out" by Intel to employees, computer part manufacturers, and reviewers. They are never sold and do not stop being the property of Intel. The only time an ES can ever be sold is if it's more than 3 years old, at that point it is no longer property of Intel.

And just in case anyone's wondering, YES, Intel has come to people's doorsteps looking for their chips. They will track them and send your local law enforcement to confiscate the chip, and you're out however much money you spent on it.

I work for a company that buys/sells refurbished servers, we got in some Dell PowerEdge 6850's that were ES machines, they had a alpha bios, boards, and also included some 4 x 3.4ghz(6 or 8mb caches) ESs. They were lent to a company that was supposed to have destroyed them but ended up selling them to another company which then resold them to us. Intel and Dell, need less to say were very pleased when we contaced them after letting them know we got a hold of some nice used ES boxes(the PE6850 had just been released so these ES were 6-12months old if that)

We didnt have any police or FBI come looking for them, we just sent them back to intel/dell through UPS and were reimbursed for it with some replacment PE6850's from Dell. They were pretty gracious about it all.

I dont know if all ES are 3 years, these were clearly designed to be "destroyed" and were claimed to be so by the company that was originally testing them. They are deffinitly serious business, from what I was told this went all the way to the top of Intel/Dell. We recieved calls from the V.P. of Intel and other big guys at Dell.

Back