• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel cpus at UVOC, post & share your result here !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Fyi, on UVOC at certain casings model, its possible to go totally passive (fanless) on the CPU with high end HSF !
You should try it yourself sometimes equipped with Coretemp for watching how close the temperature goes until max Tjunction while with AC turned off, if it still under 20 degrees Celcius on load, I would say it is pretty safe for 24/7. ;).
Hi Bing, I am planning on giving it a go fanless with and without using ducting. The CPU fan is inaudible anyway at the speed I use so it has no benefit acoustically, but if it saves the cost of an ultra low noise 120mm fan it’s a good thing.
I’ll still run it with a fan as the airflow helps cool the motherboard which is an issue with my mATX board which has a small Northbridge heatsink so it runs hot.

I tested the system at 2.4GHz 1.05V running prime95 for 30 minutes with no CPU fan and one case fan at 540 RPM and the CPU temps increased by 17C compared to when using a CPU fan at 569 RPM. CPU temps peaked at 66C but the Northbridge hit 53C which seems to be the reason why Prime95 reported errors.

I could run the system at 3GHz 1.275V with the temps 6C lower when the CPU fan was on at 569 RPM; this is compared to 2.4GHz at 1.05V

A little bit of air goes a long way. :beer:

Too bad the NB temp is limiting you, peak at 66 C without fan is really good for CPU temp ! :thup:

Agreed, it is pointless to go fanless if you own "ears" don't complain at all on fan with low RPM. :D

CPU : Celeron-L 420
Lowest Vcore : 0.86v
CPU VID : 1.300 Volt Coretemp
Best OC : 3.2 GHz 400x8 1.35v / 3GHz 1.28v stock
Stability test : Orthos 24 hours
CPU Temp : 18/19c Idle(ambient) - 26c full load
Mobo: GA-P35-DS3L
Cooling Gear : AC Freezer 7 Pro
CPU details : Q652A430 - Pack Date : 06/20/2007

Just thought I'd pretty much own everybody.

CPU : Celeron-L 420
Lowest Vcore : 0.86v
CPU VID : 1.300 Volt Coretemp
Best OC : 3.2 GHz 400x8 1.35v / 3GHz 1.28v stock
Stability test : Orthos 24 hours
CPU Temp : 18/19c Idle(ambient) - 26c full load
Mobo: GA-P35-DS3L
Cooling Gear : AC Freezer 7 Pro
CPU details : Q652A430 - Pack Date : 06/20/2007

Just thought I'd pretty much own everybody.

LOL, no, not yet, you got it wrongly for the best OC criteria ! :)

So you lower vcore at "stock speed" is 0.86 Volt right ?

Once it is proven stable again "at stock speed" on that voltage, try to find your best stable OC while maintain at that 0.86 Volt vcore, that is where your best UVOC ! :D

So yes, it needs at least two stability tests, one on stock speed and another for best OC at that "lowest vcore".

E2140
2.9ghz with stock - 0.025v.
gigabyte S3L
tuniq tower 120

White_Pawn,

Please read the 1st post for the details cause that is not enough. ;)

Thanks for submitting though.

LOL, no, not yet, you got it wrongly for the best OC criteria ! :)

So you lower vcore at "stock speed" is 0.86 Volt right ?

Once it is proven stable again "at stock speed" on that voltage, try to find your best stable OC while maintain at that 0.86 Volt vcore, that is where your best UVOC ! :D

So yes, it needs at least two stability tests, one on stock speed and another for best OC at that "lowest vcore".

White_Pawn,

Please read the 1st post for the details cause that is not enough. ;)

Thanks for submitting though.

But if that is the lowest voltage stable at stock speeds, then going higher won't allow any headroom? Once you are stable at the lowest voltage, thats the lowest voltage usable for that speed to maintain stability

But if that is the lowest voltage stable at stock speeds, then going higher won't allow any headroom?

Once you are stable at the lowest voltage, thats the lowest voltage usable for that speed to maintain stability

Yes, there is no big headroom for further OC once you're stable on stock speed at that lowest vcore.

Remember, vcore selections are not finer enough that even once you got stable at certain vcore at stock speed, chance you still can increase the CPU speed (OC) at that voltage, not much though, just look at the table.

Currently these small OC headroom doesn't mean anything, especially if there are only small samples, its just for maximizing the heat generated at that low vcore. But once we have large samples, I believe it will generate an interesting information, currently I'm not 100% sure yet, but I have few in mind. ;)

Stock speed is choosen in finding the lower vcore because it will be pointless to go lower than that.

Edit :

This UVOC needs some certain level of patience. ;)

Last edited:
My Q6600 G0

My results so far:
  • The CPU - Q6600
  • The lowest VCore - 1.03125V
  • The CPU VID - 1.285V
  • Your best OC speed - 2400MHz (so far)
  • Stable test - Prime95, lost it after 49min
  • CPU temp - 29/41/22
  • Mobo & BIOS ver - Gigabyt GA-P35-DS4 Rev.2.0 - BIOS F7
  • Cooling gear - Scythe Ninja Rev B
  • FPO/BATCH# - L727B159 09/08/2007

Well, I only made it 49min at this setting, but I'm getting close. let me bump it up a little more, and I'll get back to you.

UVed.jpg

Yep, that did it, just a small bump in voltage, now at 1.0375V. So my completed entry is as follows:
  • The CPU - Q6600
  • The lowest VCore - 1.0375V
  • The CPU VID - 1.285V
  • Your best OC speed - 2400MHz (so far)
  • Stable test - Prime95 for 3hrs
  • CPU temp - 27/44/21
  • Mobo & BIOS ver - Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 Rev.2.0 - BIOS F7
  • Cooling gear - Scythe Ninja Rev B
  • FPO/BATCH# - L727B159 09/08/2007

Miahallen, thanks for the result ! :thup:

Your delta temperature between load - idle = 17 C is high, look again at the table, you'll see even a Intel Stock HSF managed to have 11 C at UVOC.

Do you experience a very high CPU temperature on normal OC ?

I really wish this information is going to help you in finding the high delta problem like reseating or lapping the IHS or HSF's base or adding fan and etc.

or .... if you have doubt on your Scythe Ninja, you could try the Intel Stock HSF to see if there is a difference at that UVOC level.

Hope this helps !

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not sure what the deal is, and the ambient I listed was only an estimate based on my thermostat setting & personal guesstimate.

Well here's my proof of stability at 0.864v!

Now over the next few days I'll overclock it at this speed!
864stablebeforeOC.jpg

@MIAHALLEN

It doesn't matter on those absolute temp reading, it is the delta load -idle that shows the real & accurate temperature or your cooling performance.

@ps2cho

Great, expecting to see your UVOC on that celery, with that low TDP processor, the temp must be really cool ! ;)

Remember to submit the voltage at what you've set at the BIOS, not the reading from CPUZ !

Side note : Once you got the final result, mind do run it again with the fan turned off to see how much different both idle & load ? :D

Last edited:
CPU : Q6600
Lowest Vcore : 1.1000 V (LOWEST AVAILABLE in BIOS)
CPU VID : 1.1625 V / 1.3000 V (idle / load)
Best OC : 2.600 Ghz or FSB = 289
Stability test : Prime95 25.4 Small FFTs ~5.5 hours
CPU Temp : 32/59/20 C (CoreTemp 0.95.4)
MOBO & BIOS : Asus Maximus Formula S.E. Rev 1.02G, BIOS:0505
Cooling Gear : Intel Stock HSF + Paste
CPU details : L726A840 , Pack Date : 08/14/2007 , Lapped

uvoc-g0-2600.JPG

Last edited:
Hey Zoob, thanks for contributing the poll ! :)

Question, -> CPU VID : 1.1625 V / 1.3000 V (idle / load) , is that vcore ?

Why on load the VCore was jumping to 1.3 Volt ?

I thought it was set manually at 1.1 Volt in the BIOS ?

Hey Zoob, thanks for contributing the poll ! :)

Question, -> CPU VID : 1.1625 V / 1.3000 V (idle / load) , is that vcore ?

Why on load the VCore was jumping to 1.3 Volt ?

I thought it was set manually at 1.1 Volt in the BIOS ?

CoreTemp reported different VID depending on idle/load. I have EIST and C1E enabled in BIOS. CPU Vcore is set to 1.1000V in BIOS.

i joined cuz this sounded fun.

CPU : Q6600 G0
Lowest Vcore : 1.100 Volt (Lowest Setting)
CPU VID : 1.2125
Best OC : 2.835 Ghz or FSB = 315x9
Stability test : prime95x4 2 hours
CPU Temp : 25C ambient IDLE C0-30 C1-26 C2-32 C3-26(mean= 29c) LOAD C0-47 C1-42 C2-48 C3-40(mean= 44c) Delta = 15c
MOBO & BIOS : Asus Maximus Formula BIOS: 907
Cooling Gear : AIR Zalman CPNS9700 LED(2500rpm), Antec 900 Case(3x120mm 1700rpm, 200mm on high)
CPU details : L740B241 , Pack Date : 12/12/2007

i really need to lap my cpu, after many tries with different HSF core 0 and 2 always run warmer than 1 and 3. i think that will really help with my delta. ive also ordered a whole water system that i will be hooking up with a custom chilled reservoir for those hot SoCal days :)

Back