• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel ES CPU return policy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheNewbie

So I have a friend that has purchased a Intel es CPU against my advice. so now the CPU cant be returned to the seller and he doesnt know what to do with. I have heard rumors that Intel will press charges all the way to buying them back or trading out for legit CPUs( but I'm not so sure they would). Anyone have any first or second person knowledge about intels es return policy?

Engineering Sample.

Intel Confidential... NOT for Resale. :)

EDIT: ES's are usually handed out to HW manufacturers for compatibility testing with new mobos and such. They are also occasionally released to reviewers for early press coverage.

They are NEVER the property of anybody but Intel... And as such it's forbidden that they are sold.

However... It happens.

Last edited:
The Asian guys selling es on eBay just got in big trouble earlier this month (jail and hundreds of thousands in fines). They wont bother buyers but they also wont offer any sort of warranty.

Ya, ES are out there everywhere. So much selling in fact that many aren't clear on if its legal or not, as it can seem to be permitted by looking around. Many people selling them were very bold and didn't hide what they were doing in any way as a result.

It was a surprise to me hearing that people got busted. But the guys we heard about in the news for getting busted were BIG TIME. They were selling hundreds/thousands of samples over the span of years. They made hundreds of thousands, maybe millions, in profit.

The article from the China Post:
http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/local/taoyuan/2012/01/03/327785/CIB-arrest.htm

This was one of the guys busted on ebay selling them - every feedback item lists the ES he sold:
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=nafusica_tw&ftab=AllFeedback

I would imagine the people Intel are most worried about are the big ones. The ones who are making a business out of it.

i didn't check every link of the page i posted so if they are all the same person who knows. given the pics of the cpu you can usually see what items are from the same seller.

that other link you posted from intel was pretty clear on what the ES cpu's were. if it has confidential in it anywhere it's not meant to be sold.

that guy from the china post link made 2.5 million selling them.

I wouldn't trust that articles estimates. What it said exactly is that 178 cpus were confiscated in a raid, and those confiscated CPUs were worth 2.5 million something (not dollars certainly - maybe rupies, yen, or monopoly money). It doesn't say how many sales took place or what the profit from that was.

I wouldn't trust that articles estimates. What it said exactly is that 178 cpus were confiscated in a raid, and those confiscated CPUs were worth 2.5 million something (not dollars certainly - maybe rupies, yen, or monopoly money). It doesn't say how many sales took place or what the profit from that was.

i did a quick division with the calc and it would have been something like $700 USD ish per cpu. it was probably chinese currency.

Ya, but thats only the value of the physical product they had in their possession per that article - not the value I was commenting about previously, which is that of all the processors they had sold. You said they made 2.5 million selling processors, which isn't accurate.

I don't mean to be a stickler for details or a jerk, I was just trying to clarify.

Back