• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel ES return policy ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

casualgeek

So i recently got a hold of two ES xeons off an online auction . They seems to be 15 core 2.8ghz ivy bridge cpu's ( e7 2890v2 ). I got them for a really good price but unfortunately cannot return them .

I would buy a motherboard for them , but unfortunely boards are extremely expensive ( like , 4000$ ) and not available to consumers for retail .

I'm tempted to contact intel support but i'm afraid if i do so i'll be out the shipping costs and the chips ( 250$ total ) . The processors themselves are in great condition , so i think they work fine.

To put it simply , i messed up .

anyway , does somebody know anything about the ES return policy , and if they'll give me something in return?

mackerel

ES were never meant to be sold, so I doubt you'll get any support out of Intel. Think best you can do is re-sell them on. Next time, check mobo availability before buying a CPU. I think the best value at the moment is E5 v3 ES CPUs as they're quite modern, and you can use them in easily obtained X99 mobos. Dual options are also available without getting to silly pricing.

cyberfish

ES stands for Engineering Sample.

When a company like Intel makes a new chip, it will do a few iterations to correct bugs and maybe add some small changes. Those early iteration chips are the ES chips.

The ES chips are often defective, and are certainly not meant to be sold. All the ES chips available on eBay were stolen from Intel.

I really don't think they will have a return policy for chips stolen from them.

Don't buy ES chips. Even if you don't care about the ethical aspect, ES chips are often defective in subtle ways that can cause all kinds of problems.

If you want a Xeon, get a non-ES chip. You pay more for them, but at least you know what you are getting. E5-2670s (2.6GHz, 8 core each) are being sold for peanuts these days, and boards are widely available and affordable.

mackerel

It is early silicon, but generally fully functional other than lower clock speeds than the final retail product. The E5-2683v3 ES I have used for a while on distributed computing tasks which are 100% double checked, and not had a unit fail to validate from it. It only goes to 2.3 GHz all cores active, whereas from memory the retail version does 2.5 GHz so only a small loss more than outweighed by the lower cost. While I can't rule out the possibility of there being unfixed flaws, I consider the risk to be very low. The -E CPUs are around a year behind the consumer level skus, so the core itself should be well established by that point.

The E5-2670 I found to be a tough deal value wise. CPUs are practically given away but I don't see mobos for them which could be described as either widely available or affordable. Great if you can find them, but I certainly can't. At this time I wouldn't touch anything older than v3 for that reason as X99 mobos are easy to find and dual socket isn't that bad. While the 14 core ES seem to be drying up, there still seems to be many 10 and 12 core samples available for not a lot of money last time I looked.

OP
C

casualgeek

ES return policy........ :rofl:

Made my day.

What i mean is what happens if i contact support about it ?

- - - Updated - - -

i already have the chip . didn't knowingly buy an ES , but now i can't return it . What i mean by "return policy" is what happens if i contact intel support like their website says ...

Lochekey

Senior Pink Member
They come to your house and confiscate them.:clap:

Seriously though. If you bought them and they were not listed as ES samples you may want to try and get a refund from the seller. In theory the ES chips are owned by Intel and they could try and enforce the return of them but I seriously doubt they will bother you. They may be want to get the SN information off of you though to go back after the original recipient of the chips.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I don't believe there is a warranty on ES chips in the first place... ;)

EDIT: Nope - http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005712.html#5

Can I receive a warranty on Intel engineering sample processor?
Intel engineering sample processors are not covered under Intel warranty and are generally not supported by Intel past the pre-production phase.
That said, they won't give you anything. They won't take them. They may ask for information off of them to see who they assigned it to as Loch said, but that is about it. If I was you I would use them or eat the loss.

Jeff G

What socket do those use, 1567? Is there any cheap-er boards on like ebay you could use? Otherwise, eat the loss or try re-selling them would be my vote.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Socket 2011. Being Ivybridge, that is X79 based boards. Some may support that chip like the workstation level boards...?

Archer0915

"The Expert"
Give them away! That is what I have done. Bought a MB for an entity and gave them the chip. Intel does not want them back.