• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

intel fan wires?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peter p

Can anyone tell me which wires on a intel fan are what? There is a green, yellow and black. I need to know which one is power, ground and rpm.

Black is always the ground. Yellow is generally the 12 volts power wire. The RPM wire can be various colors (sometimes red), but by process of elimination, it's probably green in your case. Also, the RPM lead is usually the middle one in the 3 wire connector.

Well, I would also add about fan wires, the red is ussally the 12v not the 5v. Just incase you don't get confused about the psu wires, where 12v is yellow and 5v is red. Still black is almost always ground in everything. Also, if you see a fan with red, yellow, and black. The yellow is for monitoring rpms(when pluged into the motherboard header), the red is 12v, and the black is the ground.

Back