• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel i5-2500k basic oc Q's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pr0t0n

Registered
Hey Guys,

I rebuild my computer after the last crash, when my enthusiasme became the best of me when overclocking, but thats that.

My build atm:

mobo: Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
cpu: Intel Core i5-2500k
gpu: AMD HD 7850 (oc to Core Clock: 1050Mhz with Memory Clock: 1280Mhz)
mem: 8GB (specs not available)

Ok now my Q I went online for a guide so I wouldnt be tweaking and hoping my cpu doesnt burn or w/a lol.

I found these two links useful:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/03/intel-sandy-bridge-review/5
This is a review on the i5-2500k

The first link has a nice table with the CPU's they tested and which results they got with standard cooling, I got extra cooling.

They even got step by step guide but when I go into my EUFI bios which is fairly new to me, I dont see "CPU multiplier, Load-Line Calibration, VCCSA and VCCIO" so I wasn't gonna change the voltages which I could find (rofl) was all to risky so I came to you guys with the best hope u can help me as good as last time.

Happy holidays! (I know it's a little early but still haha)

This guide is pretty straight forward and fairly easy to follow. I haven't used a gigbyte board so I do not know the settings in the BIOS, to help you.

That's good to know, I also got 2 big case fans to get the heat out faster, so I hope it infleunces the heat from the CPU, ah I dont know just trying some things haha.

EDIT: I see that your in the bench team, did you guys bench the i5-2500k? and how did it perform? I read it's a really good one compared to one model of the i7 and some others.

That's good to know, I also got 2 big case fans to get the heat out faster, so I hope it infleunces the heat from the CPU
Do you have the stock cooler mounted or aftermarket? You're not going to get very far on stock cooling, no matter how many case fans you have.

I had a good 2500k I had it as high as 5.3 on an Aftermarket Air heatsink, they're are all different though, you never know what you will get.

What do u mean with stock cooler? is that the cooler the CPU came with from the store? cause I got a big cooler not sure of the model/name/brand but its a big *** one, so I guess it's meant for OC hardware.

I will do that cause I used it yesterday and I am not sure if I did it all right.

EDIT: btw I forgot to mention that after the oc to 4.5Ghz while stresstesting with prime95 my third core (3/4) reached 80 degrees celcius at a peak but after 15 mins all four core were between 73 - 79 degrees celcius, does this mean my cooler isnt capable of keep it cooled enough?

Last edited:
Do you know a lightweight program that I can run on my second screen while gaming that shows me the stats for heat temps, cpu/gpu usage etc. ?

I would imagine Gigabyte (your OEM) would have a chipset specific utility that would provide that info. That's what most people run

I ran my 2500k @4.8ghz with 1.395v for nearly a year straight with no problems. I used a h60 in a push pull configuration with the hottest core peaking at 74c but while gaming it would stay at 60-65c. That was by far the easiest and funniest chip to overclock.

I did set LLC to extreme and the frequency to 350mhz which made it more stable. I still wish I hadn't sold it to my buddy because I loved that little chip.

Same here PB i had a really good 2700K OCed to 4.9Mhz. but like you i sold it the other day!!

AJ.

I'm still rockin' with my i5 2500K at 4.533GHz for over 3 years now. Stable and still powerful. I see no need to 'upgrade' to an i7 4770K. When NVidia rolls out their Maxwell GPUs I'll get 2 4GB GTX 860 SLI.

Sorry for being off topic, but that's why i went to a IB-E 4930K Hex Core!!

AJ.

Back