• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel i5 2500k - Gigabyte Z68P-DS3 Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ljubomir993

Registered
I know this thread is older but I want ask something about Overclocking Intel 2500k.

CPU INTEL i5 2500k 3.30Ghz - Boost 3.60Ghz

- I will purchase Cooler Master Hyper 212 Red LED
- I can overclock with this cooler?
- How I can safe overclock?
- What is the best speed so I can overclock without damage CPU?

Best regards,

Ljubomir

The motherboard may be the limiting factor in this scenario. No heat sink on the power producing components.

The motherboard may be the limiting factor in this scenario. No heat sink on the power producing components.

You can explain me about this? I will go purchase cooler master for 2-3 days, now I want prepare all. All I need process in BIOS?

Best regards,

Accounts IT

It will likely be fine with a 2500K, honestly.

If you like, you can point a fan directly at them, but I would give it a try first. In your case, you will likely be limited by the cooler first. If this was a different chip I would be on board with that concern.

Joe, were you watching when the vrm's exploded on my old z67 ud3 at the bench party.
By the way- I have that same board with a 2600k that seems to run fine at 4.6ghz with the hyper212 cooler

I recall VRMs exploding on an X58 board...

... man that was a great benching party at your place!!! :)

You can explain me about this? I will go purchase cooler master for 2-3 days, now I want prepare all. All I need process in BIOS?

Best regards,

Accounts IT

The Voltage Regulation Module (VRM) is circled in the white. This component is responsible for producing the power for the CPU. Your board has no heat sink on this component to help keep it cool. It will heat up as you overclock the CPU. If the temperature of this component exceeds a certain point it will produce throttling or instability or even be damaged. As EarthDog said, it may not be an issue with the i5 but just keep an eye on the temps of this area with monitoring software as you overclock.

Attachments

• No heat sink.png
    No heat sink.png
    112.8 KB · Views: 301
The VRMs are all that is around there including the chokes (you only have part of the MOSFETs and none of the chokes listed. What needs cooled is partially circled. you want the ones up top too. :)

The Voltage Regulation Module (VRM) is circled in the white. This component is responsible for producing the power for the CPU. Your board has no heat sink on this component to help keep it cool. It will heat up as you overclock the CPU. If the temperature of this component exceeds a certain point it will produce throttling or instability or even be damaged. As EarthDog said, it may not be an issue with the i5 but just keep an eye on the temps of this area with monitoring software as you overclock.

Great explained! Thank you! So I will use software and follow all tempetrature, you can recommend me the best software for follow temperature all components on PC? I know few, but maybe you recommend me better.

Best regards,

Ljubomir

I didn't circle the chokes because VRM heat sinks are typically attached to the mosfets only. The heat sinks usually obscure the chokes but are not in contact with them. The mosfets are the critical component as far as thermals go. Yes, your are correct that I left out the VRM components on the north side of the socket.

Hello everyone,

today I upgraded Cooler Master and bosot my CPU, I want everyone check HWMonitor screenshots and let me know if need change something

Image 1:

Image 2: [IMG]

I set only on 4.2 GHz, what you think about my voltage? It's fine?

Best regards

Ljubomir

[COLOR="silver"]- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -[/COLOR]

Image 1:

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/yhF3TDw.jpg

Image 2:

3wbuN15.jpg

I bet you can lower the voltage for that clockspeed...or raise the clocks with the same voltage. What are your load/stress test temperatures? That is the important part. ;)

I bet you can lower the voltage for that clockspeed...or raise the clocks with the same voltage. What are your load/stress test temperatures? That is the important part. ;)

I agree with ED. I would think at that voltage you should be stable at 4.4-4.5 ghz easily.

ljubomir993, the images of HWMonitor you attached are not helpful because we do not know if those numbers represent idle or load conditions when stress testing. The highest CPU utilization shown is only 78% on two cores. Run 20 minutes of Prime95 with HWMonitor open and then post back with more images of HWMonitor.

So, voltage is fine? I can increase up to 4.5 Ghz?

I am afraid because maybe did something wrong about voltage.. :)

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I agree with ED. I would think at that voltage you should be stable at 4.4-4.5 ghz easily.

ljubomir993, the images of HWMonitor you attached are not helpful because we do not know if those numbers represent idle or load conditions when stress testing. The highest CPU utilization shown is only 78% on two cores. Run 20 minutes of Prime95 with HWMonitor open and then post back with more images of HWMonitor.

Thank you! But, how I can testing?

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Ok. I will set to 4.5 and testing?

Back