• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel i5-4440 Overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trillominati

I've heard I can downgrade my BIOS on my motherboard to be able to up the ratio. It's not a true overclock but would it be worth doing? I'm running a gtx 660 ti. Or should I just keep it the way it is?

[email protected]

I've heard I can downgrade my BIOS on my motherboard to be able to up the ratio. It's not a true overclock but would it be worth doing? I'm running a gtx 660 ti. Or should I just keep it the way it is?

You can only do so with a Skylake CPU (6th Gen).
Do not try this cause it can ruin your mobo and everything connected to it via PCI-E.

Plus 3.1GHz is enough for gaming, You wont get more performance from this CPU if you overclock it.

OP
T

trillominati

You can only do so with a Skylake CPU (6th Gen).
Do not try this cause it can ruin your mobo and everything connected to it via PCI-E.

Plus 3.1GHz is enough for gaming, You wont get more performance from this CPU if you overclock it.

I've seen it done with 4th gen haswell cpu's but I do get what you're saying. The cpu I have also has turbo boost that can clock it up to 3.3 if need be.

trents

I've seen it done with 4th gen haswell cpu's but I do get what you're saying. The cpu I have also has turbo boost that can clock it up to 3.3 if need be.

With that CPU, the multiplier is locked so the only way to overclock it is with the bclk setting in bios. Unfortunately, the chip is designed so that the PCI-e bus frequency is locked to the bclk. That means if you increase the bclk the PCi-e bus will also speed up and it is very intolerant of any change in frequency. It will quickly become unstable. Usually, you can only bump up the bclk about 2 mhz before the PCI-e bus crashes the system.

Theocnoob

As others have said, it's good enough for gaming. BCLK overclocking is your only option and it is hazardous. If you really want to overclock get the appropriate parts. Otherwise, just stick with what you've got. It's fine.