• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel i5-4690K OC problems!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Decept

Hello!

I have a Intel i5-4690k proccessor, mounted on a MSI LGA1150 H97M-G43 motherboard.

The problem i am facing, is that i can not go beyond a CPU RATIO of 39 when i enter the BIOS.:screwy:

I can type in 38, 39,22,24 etc. All numbers will lock and be ok, as long as it's under 3.9 GHZ.
But as you all may guess, i want to go higher. But the BIOS simply does not let me do that, and i'm completly stuck at 39 CPU ratio, or lower.:confused:

I'm also able to change the core voltage, and all other things i need to fiddle with in the BIOS.

I have tried to read up on the subject, searching around on Google but i simply have no luck on the subject.
I hope some of you smart gents, and probably girls in here can help me out! :)

Greetings from Norway!:D

PS!
The complete setup looks like this:

i5-4690k
MSI LGA1150 H97M-G43
Crucial DDR3 BallistiX 1600Mhz 8GB
MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4GB
Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO

I don't think the H97 board 'overclocks' past the CPUs turbo boost multiplier. If you want to overclock past that, you need a Z97 board. The "H" doesn't overclock.

Well it looks as if your motherboard is what is holding you back. That motherboard is built on the h97 platform as opposed to the z97 platform. Normally the h97 platform is a lock motherboard that will only allow slight overclocks.

There was some custom bios floating around that would support overclocking a Pentium g3258 on some of the h series boards but I doubt they would work for the i5-4690k. The power delivery system on that board also dies not look up to the task of supporting an overclocked i5 or i7.

Hopefully someone else will come along that might know where there is a bios that will help you overclock. Otherwise you seem stuck at 39.

That makes sense. It has crossed my mind, that it might be the Motherboard that kept me back.

Well, i'll need a new one then. I want to have fun with my computer, and learn new stuff.

Do you guys have any tips for a good gaming motherboard, then? I guess midrange is my aim, not the top end stuff. That would be overkill for me.

Back