• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel i7 4790k FSB 1600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vertigo5012

Registered
Ok, am very new as some of my posts have shone:p My ram can go much higher than 1600, it's G.skill Ripjaw X PC3 12800.

I read somewhere that this Cpu will only go to 1600 and it's not possible to increase it? Is this true? if not what procedure would it require to raise it?

||Console||

Pretty sure that is 1600 but we can tell .
Download CPUz and upload a screen shot of the SPD tab
you probaly just need to enable the XMP setting to get your rams rated speed

trents

Ok, am very new as some of my posts have shone:p My ram can go much higher than 1600, it's G.skill Ripjaw X PC3 12800.

I read somewhere that this Cpu will only go to 1600 and it's not possible to increase it? Is this true? if not what procedure would it require to raise it?

Hog wash! Lots of people are running DDR4 3200 with Haswell i5 and i7 CPUs. You just may need to give the System Agent a little voltage bump.

OP
V

vertigo5012

Registered
Hog wash! Lots of people are running DDR4 3200 with Haswell i5 and i7 CPUs. You just may need to give the System Agent a little voltage bump.

This is the 4790k , doesnt support DDR4 only DDR3. and it's the XMP profile that gets it to 1600 or else its 1333.

Blaylock

"That Backfired" Senior Member
I have an i7-4790k and it's paired with a set of G.Skill 2133 Snipers. I've had the ram OC'd up to 2400 stable and up to 2500ish for short benching. The CPU can run much faster than 1600.
1.PNG

DaveB

First from your title, the term "FSB" is no longer applicable. The "Front-Side Bus" has been gone for years. Second PC3-12800 is just another term for DDR3-1600 so if your RAM is running at 1600 it is running at it's SPD spec. You may be able to overclock it to 1866 or 2133 by increasing the memory (AKA DIMM) voltage. As mentioned above, first check for an XMP profile at a higher speed. Your RAM is rated at CL9 at 1.5V so you would want to up the DIMM voltage to 1.65V, loosen the timings to CL11 and then set the speed higher and see how it goes. Running at 2400 is unlikely with most DDR3 and your Ripjaw X is older RAM that has been out since 2011.

OP
V

vertigo5012

Registered
Ahhh I see, will have to play around with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you remember what the XMP settings where for 2400? Or is it different for everyone or such.

Yes my machine is old but it's the best I could afford.

Blaylock

"That Backfired" Senior Member
There is no XMP setting for those @ 2400 (or for mine) as they are only rated to 1600Mhz (2133Mhz in my case). Your best bet is to incrementally work your speed up. When it becomes unstable then loosen the timings (i.e. 9-9-9 to 10-10-10). And work from there. Ram can take oodles of time to get dialed in properly. But just as a point of reference my timings for 2400 were 10-12-11-32 @1.65v if you look at my screen shot. Your results will likely vary though as we have different kits.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I run 16 gigs of 2400 in both of my 4790K rigs, no issues at all and i have benched much higher than that.
you can play with ram all you want but, there is nothing for you from 1300 to 2800 in day to day use, only in bench marks, the one nice thing about this is you can just buy whatever is the cheapest, all that matters is you have enough, and it runs in dual channel.

Tyerker

OP, what motherboard are you using, and do you have an area to select XMP Profiles? I am another example of a 4790k running 2133+ memory, but you're also at the mercy of your RAM's XMP Profiles, and potentially the motherboard's options.

- - - Updated - - -

As for saying your PC is old... The 4790k - 7700k performance difference is not huge. Mine can do literally anything that my friend's 7700k can, and the benchmarks are typically within the margin of error. The memory speed might be a slight bottleneck, but in the grand scheme of PC performance it's minimal.

||Console||

OP, what motherboard are you using, and do you have an area to select XMP Profiles? I am another example of a 4790k running 2133+ memory, but you're also at the mercy of your RAM's XMP Profiles, and potentially the motherboard's options.

- - - Updated - - -

As for saying your PC is old... The 4790k - 7700k performance difference is not huge. Mine can do literally anything that my friend's 7700k can, and the benchmarks are typically within the margin of error. The memory speed might be a slight bottleneck, but in the grand scheme of PC performance it's minimal.
You have that right I don't find there is enough of a jump in performance from Haswell to KL even in the i5 lineup to chaneg platforms yet .

@OP Im still running as haswell as well , very little difference from 1600 up to 2133 for me . Only in benchmarks and only to get the last 2-3% in the points dept .
I would tackle overclocking your ram for last after you have found your CPU / Cache / GPU overclocks .

OP
V

vertigo5012

Registered

- - - Updated - - -

Motherboard Asus z97-e/3.1
Ram is G.Skill RipjawX (PC3 - 10700 667Mhz) XMP 1.2 increases speed to 1600 XMP is ON.

If ya need the whole rundown on my machine let me know.

I've played arouond with a bit of overclocking via the bios but it always fails, that is using thier own autotune feature.

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Looks to be a 6phase power delivery board. Weird that you can't get a modest overclock even from a low budget board. Does it at least Turbo on it's own to 4.4Ghz?