• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

intel i7 4930k overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

izzydawg

hello everyone i have had a i7 4930k for a while now and have had it overclocked to 4.5ghs and stable. i have always had a custom water cooling loop and decent temps only teaching about 62 degrees Celsius. i noticed a while ago that my computer will turn on and off multiple times before it boots into windows. i started doing some tinkering and now that my cpu is set back to stock clocks it does not do that anymore, so must have gotten unstable.
i have updated the bios to the newest one(not beta) and im now trying to get a better overclock. my computer can boot into windows just fine on any clock speed I set it at from 4.1ghs-4.8ghs. eventually i becomes unstable and the multiplier goes from(41-47) down to 12 or 34 for stock clocks. i have tryed turning off all power saving modes or anything related, set my volts to 1.35-1.4 volts, im set my RAM timings manual, tryed X.M.P, tryed manual setting. re thermal pasted my cpu. please if anyone can help i much appreciate it thank you..:(:confused:

Please list your full system specs and the vCore you were running for 4.5GHz.

My components are:
Corsair 900D
Evga 1300 watt G2 PSU
Asus rampage 4 black edition
Intel i7 4930k
Reference nvidia Gtx 770 in sli
16gb corsair vengeance 2400mhs
2 water cooling loops
First loop: 240mm radiatior and a 140mm rad. Cpu and vram water blocks swiftech D5 pump
2nd loop. 480mm rad, swiftech D5 pump, 2 xspc gpu water blocks on my 770's
400ML total for my 2 resivour
Samsung Evo 840 256gb SSD
Seagate 3tb HDD
Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit on SSD
Windows 10 pro on 3tb drive
My vcore was at 1.35 volts and 4.5gh clock
Hope this helps!

Did you try re-flashing the same BIOS you were running previously?

I have not tried that yet how would I go about that? I know these a button on my motherboard to flash it?

Okay but I just updated my bios with a newer version are you saying I should go to a older bios update?

Okay I will try that but it appeared it wasn't working in that bios version? What would cause a difference?

Sometimes simply reflashing the BIOS can fix something that became corrupted over time, alleviating the issue that has occurred.

Thank you I will try that here soon I will let you know of the results. Also i see a problem that seems interesting, every over clock I set I can boot into Windows fine but after about 10 mins in Windows on idle. The multiplier drops to 12-20-34? What would cause this?

Well I got home and have been running ROG cpu-Z for about 4 hours playing WOW and Diablo maxed out and have a stable 4.5ghs overclock from the settings I kept last night idk what changed but is working thank you for all the information!!

Back