• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel is the best! for making PIII-S!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tainice

Yeah!, intel ram my 1.26 back, so i drop it inside of my box, fire it up...vidpin mod does not work..so highest vcore is 1.65. anyway, i am at 180fsb now, with T~W~O differetn sticks! oh yeah..intel rocks my world! cannot benech, cuz after i restart, everything won't work, must be that vidpin mod...i will redo it later. now i am at 66fsb burn in...wa hahahah. have to get a barracuda, so hdd won't crap out on me this time.

OP
tainice

tainice

they are cool, but this time, it is a "one time ram only case" cuz i told them i was hosting the chip on a st6, and the person said, "st6 CANNOT SUPPORT A SERVER CHIP, so it is a one time ram only." what a $%$^%. anyway, i think i have told her that st6 is a UNIVERSAL board, but she did not buy it, claim that she did not find such statement on abit's website My @SS!! man, i saw it clearly from Abit's web....anyhow, i am just happy to get it back:D

deez

yeah ASUS says the same thing about the TUSL-2C. I wanna see some benchies on that P3 when its in full gear

OP
tainice

tainice

man oh man, it is bad now...i cannot do anything!! if i change my fsb or vcore, the rig wont load!! what a ****ty situation i got myself into... i can boot into windows and do whatever i want if the chip is at default..what the? help..:(

OP
tainice

tainice

no, if i change my fsb to even as low as 137, still no moving.. same apply to vcore. i will flash the board again...btw, no vidpin mod for now.

OP
tainice

tainice

almost destorying my board today, by going "overboard"... anyway, everything is semi-fine now.. got it to work at 170fsb, cas2, 1.65v now. My hdd did crap out on me AGAIN, 43 is the limit, need a barracuda or anything that can do 45f. by the way, me love my rams, two sticks cas2 boot and work (no stability test tho, same to my rig now being 170fsb) With a good hdd, i am sure 180 can be easily reachable, but not sure everything above that...just hope the hdd won't hinder me from doing at least 184..but that's like 46f..:eek: oh temp is ok, 35c surfing.

Ps, ST6 got 1/4 divider only, 1/5 would be dreamy:D

funnyperson1

dang thats a nice chip there...please dont kill it;) ....though it would be cool to see what it would do if some 2700DDR which can achieve 200mhz fsb.....and a nicer hdd....

ol' man

tainice said:
almost destorying my board today, by going "overboard"... anyway, everything is semi-fine now.. got it to work at 170fsb, cas2, 1.65v now. My hdd did crap out on me AGAIN, 43 is the limit, need a barracuda or anything that can do 45f. by the way, me love my rams, two sticks cas2 boot and work (no stability test tho, same to my rig now being 170fsb) With a good hdd, i am sure 180 can be easily reachable, but not sure everything above that...just hope the hdd won't hinder me from doing at least 184..but that's like 46f..:eek: oh temp is ok, 35c surfing.

I hit 190fsb with my ST6.

Celemine1Gig

tainice said:

You should have kept that Gigabyte GA-6OXET:D
It has 1/5, 1/6 and more dividers:p

No, just kidding man. Your ST6 sure is a great board. I had an Abit before my Gigabyte and It was a good board.
Good luck then!

Last edited:
OP
tainice

tainice

remember i said everything is semi-fine? what meant was...my screen got this grenish look...and some setting in bios are gone..for example, i could not see my temp, volt, etc in bios:rolleyes: i though i can fix it, but appearing not..help!! i have switched between two chips and two vid cards, one flash of bios and newly installed os...nothing. i am running out of ideas.

EVERYTHING IS FINE NOW:D but my temp is high, 44~6 load with super pi. 170fsb, cas2. 1.7v i will stop here til i got my hands on a good hdd and a more powerful hsf..but not sure, i like the quietness of glaciator..;)

Last edited:

DSTA

tainice said:
they are cool, but this time, it is a "one time ram only case" cuz i told them i was hosting the chip on a st6, and the person said, "st6 CANNOT SUPPORT A SERVER CHIP, so it is a one time ram only." what a $%$^%. anyway, i think i have told her that st6 is a UNIVERSAL board, but she did not buy it, claim that she did not find such statement on abit's website My @ss!! man, i saw it clearly from Abit's web....anyhow, i am just happy to get it back:D

Oh you know, the lady at the Intel RMA department is right. The ST6 and TUSL2 are not validated for the P3-S CPUs.

Wanna know why?

The on board voltage regulator has to deliver different power to a P3-S compared to a P3 Tualatin or Celeron. The difference is pretty small, around 0.1V or some such, depending on load, but it's enough to not validate these boards.

I find this rather very very funny considering what you are actually able to do with the chip :). If the gal at the RMA department knew, she'd probably have to be put on life support :p

BigRed

Caffinated Member
DSTA said:

Oh you know, the lady at the Intel RMA department is right. The ST6 and TUSL2 are not validated for the P3-S CPUs.

Wanna know why?

The on board voltage regulator has to deliver different power to a P3-S compared to a P3 Tualatin or Celeron. The difference is pretty small, around 0.1V or some such, depending on load, but it's enough to not validate these boards.

I find this rather very very funny considering what you are actually able to do with the chip :). If the gal at the RMA department knew, she'd probably have to be put on life support :p
Uhhh the p3-s is a p3 tualatin :rolleyes:
The lady at the rma department is full of bs, the tualatins are exactly alike, except one p3-s has 512k of cache, and the celerons have their L2 cache set to a latency of 1
Any board that can run a tualatin can run the p3-s

DSTA

Yes it can run it, but not every board is validated. And it's probably Intel being exceptionally picky since the P3-S is marketed as a server CPU.

Last edited:
OP
tainice

tainice

U totally misunderstood my point!! ok, i said "ST6 is a universal board, and she said not, and she could not find such a statement on Abit's web.. BUY YOU KNOW WHAT? I CAN THAT very easily. that'z why i said Intel's rep. is full of.. not because the chipset volt regulation or some sort.

DSTA

U totally misunderstood my point!! ok, i said "ST6 is a universal board, and she said not, and she could not find such a statement on Abit's web.. BUY YOU KNOW WHAT? I CAN THAT very easily. that'z why i said Intel's rep. is full of.. not because the chipset volt regulation or some sort.

Ah, ok :). Well perhaps there's been a misunderstanding.

I think what the RMA department was trying to say is that the P3-S is not supported on ST6 (or TUSL2) and that they are being nice to you by RMAing it anyway.

If you have to call them again (and I wish you luck that you don't have to, nice CPU!), I think it's a good idea to tell them you used your P3-S on something officially supported -- perhaps an Intel
S815EBM1.