• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel L440GX+, 700E PIII overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ElectroSoldier

Ive got an Intel L440GX+ mainboard running 2 Intel PIII 700E flip chips (there the 100MHz/256kb switches) in slot to socket cards and was wondering

1, Can I overclock them and if so how?

2, What is the best heatsink/fan to use with them? (space between CPU 1 & 2 is tight so im using Tt chrome orbs at the minute but after an OC is there anyhing better?)

3, if i do OC em should I change my RAM to ECC? (right now I got 4x 256Mb PC100 non ECC)

4, will a OC affect the rest of my setup?
(I boot of PCI slot 3 with an Adaptec AAA-UDMA DAC RAID 5 with 4x IBM 60Gb Travelstars, and storage is on an Adaptec ARO-1130U2 DAC in PCI 4/RAIDPort III. other cards are ISA slot PCMCIA card reader, PCI 1 USB rev 2.0/FireWire EOHCI card, PCI 2 C-Media 5100 sound card, PCI 5 Elsa Gladiac 511 32Mb dual head graphics, PCI 6 STB MVP Pro 128 4head graphics card)

5, Will an OC affect the onboard SCSI controllers?

Any help with any of these will be a great help as as I am not new to SMP I am new to overclocking and this will be my first

Are you sure those chips are "E" chips? I think "E" denotes chips with 133 FSB. You can't have 700 MHz chips with 133 FSB.

What is the brand and model of your motherboard?

Do you have a manual, or can you find it on the manufacturer's website?

You don't really need ECC unless it's a file server.

Overclocking the FSB will affect the PCI speed, too. If your current CPU runs at 100 FSB (I'm assuming it does) and IF you could do a simple overclock with jumpers for 133 FSB, then your PCI bus would stay in spec and your devices wouldn't be affected, at all.

Of course, your CPU's might not be able to overclock that high. You motherboard might not support any FSB other than 100. There are lots of variables.

Please give more information.

The board is an Intel L440GX+. the .pdf is

The chip is a Pentium III 700. The E denotes the 256k cache and the .13 micron process (i think its .13 micron)

Might swap to ECC anyway and sell the standard RAMHERE

Since that is an Intel board, it isn't going to come with any overclocking options and the manual says it only supports 100 FSB.

Your only recourse is to try CPUFSB.

www.podien.de

Yeah, just work your way up, one MHz at a time.

Once you get to about 110-115, run some benchmarks and your favorite apps to make sure everything is stable.

Give Prime95 a run for a while and try looping 3DMark2001 for a while.

If you can run one instance of Prime95 and loop 3DMark2001 for an hour or so, then your system is ~probably~ rock-solid.

You could also try to find a PDF on the clockgen and fool around with that...

BTW "E" denotes 100 MHz FSB (256k and .18 is just coppermine in general), I know, I have a 600 E.

yeah...actually the E was to separate the 600 mhz Katmai's from the 600 mhz coppermine's initially...

and the B is indeed for the 133 mhz fsb...

i had a 600e a long time ago...in a galaxy far away ;)

The board I have will take SECC & SECC2.
The chips I have are both 700E's 100FSB, 256k cache Coppermine core.

but my other P3 dualie has P3 1000EB chips! 133FSB, 256k cache, this means it is a coppermine core using the .13 micron fabracation process (I think its was .13 microns away) with a 133FSB and 256k cache.

I'm going to be using it to render movies with Adobe Premiere 6.5 which it is ok at now so im only really dont this to see if i can shave a few seconds off the times and just to OC a chip (which i have never done before)

Coppermines are .18 micron process. The previous core was a .25 micron process, and the Tutalatins are a .13 micron process.

When your CPUs are putting out less than 20watts each, you could go with a nice 1U cooler, and have space to spare.

I suggest something like this Thermaltake 1U cooler for $10. The overall height with fan is 26mm.

I've seen copper ones just like that but I can't find them anymore. They were Cooljag brand. Oh well, the aluminum one is still supposed to be good for 1.13ghz PIII. :)

Edit: That site I linked to started bumping you to the homepage when you link to a product page.

If you put "A1151" into the search box, it will take you right to the cooler.

Last edited:
Back