• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel or AMD ?!? Help PLZ!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slappi

I would like some input from you tech intheknows about what to buy. I am building a new system and would like some help on a few things.

First off I have a budget of $800 for a new cpu, MB, and memory.

Now I would like to overclock and I want the latest tech and the fastest tech which will be used for gaming and basic Word, Excel, Photoshop use and with the possiblity of some DVD burning, ripping ....etc.

I don't have any bias towards Intel or AMD so whatever is the best I would go for.

Also I am not in a great hurry but would like to have it finished by the end of the year ... so I can wait for a few things if they will definitely be out before 2003.

You guys seem to know everything about the latest and greatest so I thought I would ask here to get the best and most accurate info.

TIA!!!

micamica1217

WECOME TO THE FORUMS,

well I like both amd and intel.....yet I went intel for the great OCs and stabality.

I'm a big fan of RDRAM, yet lets talk DDR since you want the latest stuff on a board.

the p4pe from asus and the at7 max2 from abit are great choices.

they have the latest things on them, like s-ata and raid if you need them.

yet there is also the asus p4b533 and the abit bd7II....tryed and true overclocking boards.

get your self some xms3200 from corsair....one stick and use the 3/4 memory divider to give you the bandwith you need for the P4.
lets not forget the pci/agp lock so nothing holds you back.

if you need to save money then get the 1.8a....it's the best bang for the buck. $140 shiped at newegg.com

try 2.8-2.9ghz max OC. (sweet)

it will kick some amd butt real good.:D

two other good p4 chips are 2.26 and the 2.53 for OCing.

good luck

mica

micamica1217

Oh yeah,

and all this could be done on quiet fans and a good HS.

no delta screamers needed.:p

mica

OP
S

Slappi

Hey thanks .... yah I was going to wait for that GB Intel chipset if I got an Intel Chip but from reading the posts here it looks like it won't be out till next year and cost some$$$$$

The 2.53 does look tempting though at under $220 ..... Choices choices

Thx

RCtruckguy

getting an intel mobo would defeat your attempts at OCing your CPU as you cant adjust the FSB or something like that.

not really 100% sure but i've asked if i can oc my P3-600 and intel mobo (see sig) and they said intel mobos won't OC and i haven't OC'd anything yet but i hope that will soon change.

Welcome to the fourms and have a fun time OCing!~RCTG

micamica1217

Slappi said:
Hey thanks .... yah I was going to wait for that GB Intel chipset if I got an Intel Chip but from reading the posts here it looks like it won't be out till next year and cost some$$$$$

The 2.53 does look tempting though at under $220 ..... Choices choices

Thx

yeah it's nice.

and it looks like it's a good OCer too.

get it to 162fsb or better and the bandwith will be as good as rdram.

and at 3.0ghz or better....do you think amd can keep up?

btw, yeah no need to wait, do it now and enjoy the intel love.

again good luck

mica

p.s. keep asking questions.

Burning Phoenix

Budget cpus only now apply to the low end for AMD.

latest prices at GoogleGear.com:
INtel 2.8 $402
Intel 2.66 $306
Intel 2.53 $239
Intel 2.4 $192

2600XP $291
2400XP $195

Gnerma

For $800 I'm tempted to tell you to wait for Granite Bay anyway.. thats a lot to spend on CPU/Memory/Motherboard.

Intel Pentium 4 / 2.4BGHz Northwood OEM -- $194
AX478 + 53cfm fan -- $35
ABIT IT7 MAX2 ver.2.0 Intel 845PE Retail -- $169
CORSAIR XMS 512MB PC3200 CL2 (With Heat Spreader) -- $220

$618 (all prices newegg.com)

If I were to buy an Intel setup RIGHT NOW for my main rig (not trying to skimp on anything) the above is what I would get.

BUT OF COURSE MAKE SURE YOU GET A C1 NORTHWOOD!
ALSO MAKE SURE THE CHIPSET ON THE BOARD YOU BUY HAS HYPERTHREADING SUPPORT!

These are two things you should be sure of!

If I had 800 bucks to spend within the next 3 months this is what I would get..

2.4B C1 northwood -- $194
AX478 + 53cfm fan -- $35
CORSAIR XMS 256MB PC3000 CL2 /w heat spreader -- $119 x 2 = $238
Granite Bay Motherboard (probably Abit or Asus :) ) -- $200 - $250

$717 max

RCtruckguy said:
getting an intel mobo would defeat your attempts at OCing your CPU as you cant adjust the FSB or something like that.

not really 100% sure but i've asked if i can oc my P3-600 and intel mobo (see sig) and they said intel mobos won't OC and i haven't OC'd anything yet but i hope that will soon change.
I'm pretty sure he was referring to just the Intel Granite Bay chipset RC. Oh and by the way, have you looked into the world of software FSB adjustments? You may be able to get at least a moderate overclock with one of these utilities..

quegyboe

Wow, $800 huh? You could build an AMD stomping machine for way less than that! Here's what I'm getting soon...

Intel P4 2.4Ghz 400 FSB
Asus P4S533
256MB Corsair XMS PC3200 CL2

With that Asus mobo, you can run 100 Mhz CPU bus / 200Mhz memory bus and with that XMS PC3200, you are supplying the P4 with the perfect amount of bandwidth! A true 400Mhz FSB, without buying "old tech" RDRam. No AMD can keep up with 3.2GB/s of raw bandwidth! :D

OP
S

Slappi

Thanks for all your replys guys and thanks for the welcome

.....bad news

My tv blew up .... my main 36" Sony .... so it looks like I will have to hold off until Feb. of next year.

.....good news

Now I have a reason to buy a 42" Plasma WOOHOO!!!! My wife can't say no now. YES!

RCtruckguy

Gnerma said:
Oh and by the way, have you looked into the world of software FSB adjustments? You may be able to get at least a moderate overclock with one of these utilities..

Really? sweet! i'll have to try that after i get it cooler.

Slappi- well that sucks/score! I see that as getting a better system for the same price or that system for less. good luck with what ever you buy~RCTG

micamica1217

quegyboe said:
Wow, $800 huh? You could build an AMD stomping machine for way less than that! Here's what I'm getting soon...

Intel P4 2.4Ghz 400 FSB
Asus P4S533
256MB Corsair XMS PC3200 CL2

With that Asus mobo, you can run 100 Mhz CPU bus / 200Mhz memory bus and with that XMS PC3200, you are supplying the P4 with the perfect amount of bandwidth! A true 400Mhz FSB, without buying "old tech" RDRam. No AMD can keep up with 3.2GB/s of raw bandwidth! :D

this is a bad choice for a mobo....no pci lock and no HT suport.

the mobos above that I mentioned above have what it takes to cream any amd rig out there and not hold you back in any way....

OK they don't have agp 8x, but who realy needs it now?

the 2.4a is also a bad choice for DDR....unless you can hit 160fsb or better with it. go with the 2.26 or 2.53 for better bandwith.

anyway as to someone else....the GB mobos are delayed again....maybe mid 2003 before we see the "best of" mobos.
Oh well.

mica

OP
S

Slappi

Yah my wife just bought a new Laptop so I will just have to use that until Feb

but you are right I will def. be able to get a GB board then and maybe a faster Chip

Goo Kenson

Burning Phoenix said:
Budget cpus only now apply to the low end for AMD.

latest prices at GoogleGear.com:
INtel 2.8 $402
Intel 2.66 $306
Intel 2.53 $239
Intel 2.4 $192

2600XP $291
2400XP $195

A 2600 would own a 2.66 performance wise.

Besides, he could build a dual AMD cpu system that could stomp those Intel chips.

Last edited:

Gnerma

Goo Kenson said:
A 2600 would own a 2.66 performance wise.

Besides, he could build a dual AMD cpu system that could stomp those Intel chips.

Alright guyz PLEASE no AMD / Intel war... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

Goo Kenson, if you have a way you want to spend his 800 bucks do it the same way we did, by listing parts/prices and the advantages of those parts.

A dual AMD rig would be smoother & do some things better but would not be better for gaming.

Goo Kenson

Besides, for $314, just over the price of an Intel 2.66, you could buy 2 MP 2000+ chips and have a 3.34 ghz AMD dual cpu system, which would totally beat the **** out of any Intel chip for the price of an Intel 2.66.

Have you considered a dual system, Slappi?