• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel power = what in AMD power

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

timmyqwest

Disabled
no AMD can really compete with an 800mhz FSB when it comes to mem bandwidth...

but for FPS in a game...i really dont think you'll notice a differnce between the p4 and say a 2ghz amd

donny_paycheck

Inactive Super Quad Mod
The differences are really application-specific. Athlons have a strong floating point unit so they excel in mathematical tasks, but they have a meager cache and system bus, so they don't do as well in games.

Even so the difference is really insignificant for practical purposes. And price is less and less of a difference these days too.

Personally if you were going with a 266 FSB 2400+ or a 800 FSB 2.4 P4, I'd take the P4 for general purpose use.

Bman1238

Disabled
i'm guessing somewhere around 2.2GHz (or possibly less) along with a 400MHz fsb. But it all depends on what test you are using to compare them.

DarkJediSleikas

There is no simple performance conversion factor between the two processors. Like donny said, the performance difference depends on the application. As a rule of thumb, a XY00+ AMD will have about the same performance as a XY00 MHz P4 (E.g. a 2200+ has about the same performance as a P4 2200MHz [2.2GHz]).

OC Detective

timmyqwest said:
no AMD can really compete with an 800mhz FSB when it comes to mem bandwidth...

but for FPS in a game...i really dont think you'll notice a differnce between the p4 and say a 2ghz amd
No AMD? How about an Opteron or an A64 when they come out. The fastest opteron is 1.8GHz and remember it has on-die memory controlling running at the same speed as the cpu so esentially the FSB (connector between memory and northbridge) is located on the cpu - so if the chip is 1.8GHz guess what the "FSB" is. Also it can only use registered DDR which at present only goes up to DDR333 but once registered DDR400 becomes available it will be able to use that as well if the mobo supports it.

Last edited:

treepop

OC Detective
so if you are running an opteron with ddr3200 what would the fsb be?.... you said if it's a 1.8 then guess what the bus will be...are you saying it will run at 1.8gHz?..thanks a ton for the info..........:D

Deliximus

Registered
barton does not have "meager cache". it has a total of 640K L1+L2 EXCLUSIVE cache architecture. more than any desktop chip has ever.

donny_paycheck

Inactive Super Quad Mod
Deliximus said:
barton does not have "meager cache". it has a total of 640K L1+L2 EXCLUSIVE cache architecture. more than any desktop chip has ever.
True, but size isn't what's meager, bandwidth from CPU to L2 cache is. Barton has only one quarter of the bandwidth between L2 cache and CPU that the Northwood does. The Athlon has a 64 bit bus to the L2 cache, whereas the Northwood has a 256 bit wide bus. That's why the gain from doubling L2 size with AMD's K7 was only 2-3% per MHz, not 5-7% like with Intel's P6 architecture.

There's an interesting article about this at Ace's Hardware here.

OC Detective

treepop said:
OC Detective
so if you are running an opteron with ddr3200 what would the fsb be?.... you said if it's a 1.8 then guess what the bus will be...are you saying it will run at 1.8gHz?..thanks a ton for the info..........:D
You cant run DDR3200 yet - only up to 2700 is registered memory. And yes essentially "FSB", although it no longer exists on Opterons and A64's, will be 1.8GHz

OrionRU

lol my athnlon gives out more MFLOPS then a p4 - 3.06 800mhz, alot more :)

The memory on the other thing...

timmyqwest

Disabled
OC Detective said:

No AMD? How about an Opteron or an A64 when they come out. The fastest opteron is 1.8GHz and remember it has on-die memory controlling running at the same speed as the cpu so esentially the FSB (connector between memory and northbridge) is located on the cpu - so if the chip is 1.8GHz guess what the "FSB" is. Also it can only use registered DDR which at present only goes up to DDR333 but once registered DDR400 becomes available it will be able to use that as well if the mobo supports it.

what the hell is your point?

intel has a 10ghz cpu in their roadmap, AMD guys better watch out!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

arnoldma

it all comes down to price, and tbh (as a big amd fan as i am) i have to say that intel is doing better in terms of performance, but if you work out the mhz per $ using the 1700+ overclocked to about 2.4gh, and an intel 3.06 533fsb overclocker to whatever, both on AIR cooling.

then im sure u'll find that the AMD will easily double, if not triple the mhz per $ of an intel processer :)

EspElement

Well, i got my barton @ 2.3 now with a 200 mhz bus....
i ran prime all night, vcore at 1.95, with my new SLK900U
gets around 10 C colder, but what i am geting too in sandra,
says my cpu is faster then the 3.0 800 fsb of intel
is this correct?

i thought i saw a dude on these forums with his intel at 300fsb
or 1200fsb after the quad powered..... is that possible?

modenaf1

OC Detective said:

if you mean the fsb runs at the same speed as the chip, im gonna :drool:

OP
zabomb4163

zabomb4163

i guess i should have clarified. An amd chip at 2.4 is equal to a 3200 p4 according to amd's PR number system. But, with an 800bus the rule doesn't appply. Do you think that a 3200p4 at 533 would be equal to a 3000Cp4 at 800bus?