• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Q9450 Temperatures

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shakka

Wondering what others are getting for temps with the Intel Q9450.

Post your CPU cooler/heatsink, idle/load temps, temp monitoring program.

Freezone CPU cooler
Idle: 32C Load: 45C - (30 min in Prime95 on each core)
CoreTemp

Idle: 22C Load: 35C - (30 min in Prime95 on each core)
RealTemp

I'm deciding whether or not to replace my freezone cpu cooler with another high end air product such as a Zalman 9700 or a Scythe Ninja + fan. If my temps are relatively low, I most likely will keep the freezone unit.

EDIT: I have been trying to read up on temperature errors. Can anyone confirm or disprove that the new 45nm chips have a TJmax of 95C instead of 105C, which means core temp temperatures based of 105C are wrong and that my temps should be 10C cooler? Does Real Temp give correct settings for Q9450 at 0 calibration or does it need to be set to ++ + - --?

Last edited:

Badussy

Registered
X3350 here but:

Running @ 3.6ghz

XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 / Antec P182 Case / Room Temperature ~70F / Real Temp

Idle temps 42-37-39-38
Load temps 58-50-50-50 (Orthos x 2 30 minutes)

Real Temp states Tjmax = 95. I am not sure if that is right though.

OP
S

Shakka

The TJmax is the main factor in play. Can anyone verify what it is? If it is indeed 95 instead of 105, my temps at 22C idle and 35C load are decent, but im still trying to decide over a high end air or keep my freezone cooler.

Albuquerque

Never tried it at stock clocks, but from my notes:

3.2Ghz (8 x 400) stock volts
Hottest core load: 44*c
Hottest core idle: 32*c

3.4Ghz (8 x 425) stock volts
Hottest core load: 46*c
Hottest core idle: 33*c

3.6Ghz (8 x 450) stock volts
Hottest core load: 49*c
Hottest core idle: 35*c

3.7Ghz (8 x 461) at 1.275v (+0.0425 over stock)
Hottest core load: 51*c
Hottest core idle: 37*c

All temps were recorded with RealTemp at the end of at least an hour of 2 x Orthos using 10k FFT's in-place at priority 10, with the radiator fans at 7v.

Sam__

whats your ambient temp shakka? if its at or above 22c then coretemp is right.

Albuquerque

My real temp temperatures seem in proportion to that so the freezone cpu cooler must be working decently. What heat sink/cpu cooler are u using btw

If you're asking / replying to me, I'm using a home-brewed water cooling setup. Dual 120mm rad, Via Aqua 1300 pump and Apogee GT block. A pair of SD Sun ACE 120's pull air through the rad at about 6-7v via a fanbus controller so they shut up ;)

blazed

RealTemps 95C Tjunction max is more probable over coretemps 105C, but its not known for sure as Intel wont release that information. Idle temps can be inacurate though, it can never be below your ambient room temperature, you can try and use realtemps idle calibration but this involves under volting and clocking the CPU to find your 5C above ambient.

OP
S

Shakka

Whats the most accurate way to measure ambient temps? I also have a question about CPU-Z. How come my Core Speed idles at 2ghz and goes up to 2.66ghz when loading something? Is this just a power saving feature?

Last edited:

Badussy

Registered
Whats the most accurate way to measure ambient temps? I also have a question about CPU-Z. How come my Core Speed idles at 2ghz and goes up to 2.66ghz when loading something? Is this just a power saving feature?

Check in your BIOS to see if EIST or C1E is enabled. These are nice features but sometimes annoying when overlocking.

C1E reduces the multiplier and decreases the voltage to the chip.

EIST acts just like AMD's Cool and Quiet.

Sam__

Check in your BIOS to see if EIST or C1E is enabled. These are nice features but sometimes annoying when overlocking.

C1E reduces the multiplier and decreases the voltage to the chip.

EIST acts just like AMD's Cool and Quiet.

yup... i just disable them if im OCing big.

OP
S

Shakka

Whats best way of measuring ambient temps? It doesnt seem right that new 45nm chips (q9450 in my case) running at .975V is running higher idle temps (stock speed) with a freezone liquid cpu cooling kit then my friends q6600 with everything on auto (pretty sure its higher voltage stock). Hes running about 28C idle temps.

Also, is there anyway to make the coolit freezone cpu cooler fit further down into my case (Antec p182)? It bends my side panel outward a bit, but it still fits on.

GoldKnyght

Registered
Wondering what others are getting for temps with the Intel Q9450.

Post your CPU cooler/heatsink, idle/load temps, temp monitoring program.

Freezone CPU cooler
Idle: 32C Load: 45C - (30 min in Prime95 on each core)
CoreTemp

Idle: 22C Load: 35C - (30 min in Prime95 on each core)
RealTemp

I'm deciding whether or not to replace my freezone cpu cooler with another high end air product such as a Zalman 9700 or a Scythe Ninja + fan. If my temps are relatively low, I most likely will keep the freezone unit.

EDIT: I have been trying to read up on temperature errors. Can anyone confirm or disprove that the new 45nm chips have a TJmax of 95C instead of 105C, which means core temp temperatures based of 105C are wrong and that my temps should be 10C cooler? Does Real Temp give correct settings for Q9450 at 0 calibration or does it need to be set to ++ + - --?

Either way you look at it its like this. One says 10C higher the other. The one with 10C higher says 105 TJMAX and one that is lower says 95C TJmax. So do the math there it doesnt matter. one will just tell u its hotter then the other. But i think there is something wrong with the sensors because i get 44C idle Realtemp and 54C with coretemp or HWmonitor. Load they shot up to 65 on real and 75 on core or HW. but when i touch the heatsink its cool to the touch. so i try and push it down to see if it didnt have contact but nothing same so i dunno theres a glitch somewhere in these temp readings.

gerw0007

Q9450 Temps . . .

My setup is the following:

Mobo: EVGA 780i SLI

CPU: Q9450 - @ 3.0ghz (Auto Voltage - approx 1.19 v)

Cooler: Thermaltake TMG-1 (Did a lapping job on this . .but it made very little difference :bang head)

Case: Thermaltake Armor - 2 rear exhaust fans - 120mm & 92mm, a 92mm top exhaust fan, a 250mm side intake fan and two 120mm front intake fans. Tis thing has PLENTY of airflow

Temps:Idle / Hottest 39 degrees - Lowest 29 degrees

Temps Load Hottest 53 degrees - Lowest 42 degrees

This is after Multiple instances of running Prime 95 for about 30 minutes

I think that at least one of the sensors in my CPU are suspect. . .The one that reads the lowest HAS TO BE WRONG! Realtemp shows a "movement" of only 1 or 2 degrees for this one core (core #3) when I run the "Test Sensors" tab on the program. . .so this data for the "lowest temp" is probably not accurate at all. . .all the other cores however, seem to register just fine.

The ambient temps in my case are really pretty low. . . they are usually in the range of 16-22 degrees (this is about 60 to 72 farenheit) They are pretty low, and this is due to the fact that I have my setup in my basement. . .and I live in Minnesota :santa:

I use Core Temp to monitor. . .but I went into the configuration file and set the TJmax to 95 instead of the 105 that Core Temp has as the defualt TJmax. . .This is the TJMax that Realtemp uses. . .and I think it is more accurate

rewnin

Hey pplz,
i am new around here and i already have the first question ...
WHY IS MY SYS SO DAMN HOT?!?!?!

the temps are incredibly high according to all your ones and i just can't figure out why :(

Setup is like this

[email protected] - 1.22V
Cooled by Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 + Scythe S-Flex 12cm @ 1200 rpm
XFX 780i @ 1600mhz Fsb
XFX 8800 GTX XT
4x1 GB OCZ Reaper 800mhz 3-4-4-15 2T
Case is a Lian Li Midi Tower PC-7 SE-B III
3 Case Fans x 12cm, 1 Lower Front (in), 1 Lower Side (in), 1 Upper Back (out)
Additionally there is an Active Northbridge Fan and the
Thermaltake 750W (Cable Management) Fan at the upper end of the Sys (out)

The IDLE temps are as followed (tjmax=95 ... coretemp and realtemp, as well as speed fan, with tjmax95 they all get the same results)

System (speed fan only): 28°-30°C
CPU (speed fan only): 39°-44°C
AUX (speed fan only): 38°-41°C

CORES: 40°-46°C (!!!)

Under LOAD the Cores sometimes reach 57°C+

Any idea how to approach the problem?
:confused:

PS: The Thermalright feels relatively cool to the touch, but is installed correctly using the Thermalright paste.
I have already ordered the Arctic Silver 5, but i guess it won't solve the problem...

Last edited:

phu

Hey pplz,
i am new around here and i already have the first question ...
WHY IS MY SYS SO DAMN HOT?!?!?!

the temps are incredibly high according to all your ones and i just can't figure out why :(

Setup is like this

[email protected] - 1.22V
Cooled by Thermalright 120 Extreme + Scythe S-Flex 12cm @ 1200 rpm
XFX 780i @ 1600mhz Fsb
XFX 8800 GTX XT
4x1 GB OCZ Reaper 800mhz 3-4-4-15 2T
Case is a Lian Li Midi Tower PC-7 SE-B III
3 Case Fans x 12cm, 1 Lower Front (in), 1 Lower Side (in), 1 Upper Back (out)
Additionally there is an Active Northbridge Fan and the
Thermaltake 750W (Cable Management) Fan at the upper end of the Sys (out)

The IDLE temps are as followed (tjmax=95 ... coretemp and realtemp, as well as speed fan, with tjmax95 they all get the same results)

System (speed fan only): 28°-30°C
CPU (speed fan only): 39°-44°C
AUX (speed fan only): 38°-41°C

CORES: 40°-44°C (!!!)

Under LOAD the Cores sometimes reach 55°C+

Any idea how to approach the problem?
:confused:

How's your room temperature and what paste you use on your cpu?

rewnin

puh dont know the room temp ... wont be that cool i guess ... 22-24 degree ... the paste is the one that was delivered with the thermalright.

I just pushed down the Core from 1.22V to 1.20V and it still works fine. 1.19V is the Stock Voltage when using it with 2.66 ghz. I tried that once and it didnt work. But i mean 0.01V wont make the difference now will it? :)

phu

Try to lower your vcore as much as you could.

My idle temps are around 44C too but my room is pretty warm and I'm running at 3.6GHZ.

Tuksonrider

Registered
My cousin just got a Q9450 but the temp seems off. No matter what HSF we use, the temps are the same!

Stock Clocks and AutoV
Vid=1.021v
Coretemp v98.1 (TJmax = 100C)
Room Ambient Temp = 25C

Intel OEM HSF (100% fan load)
IDLE:
Core1= 51C
Core2= 48C
Core3= 51C
Core4= 48C

LOAD (1hr Prime93 SMALL FFT)
Core1= 58C