• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel® Readies Inexpensive Six-Core Microprocessor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

'Cuda340

Very Welcoming Senior, Premium Member #11
Intel Core i7-3910K Listed in Intel’s Documents

Although Intel Corp. is about to start shipping its next-generation Core i7-4800/4900 “Ivy Brige-E” chips for high-end desktops (HEDTs) in the coming weeks, the company may also be readying a relatively cost-efficient six-core microprocessor based on the current-generation “Sandy Bridge-E” technology.

Officially, Intel only has four second-generation Core i7 “Sandy Bridge-E” microprocessors in LGA2011 packaging in its lineup: three six-core i7-3900-series chips and one quad-core i7-3820 product. However, this week it was discovered in an Intel document that Intel is either preparing, or already shipping, a mysterious Core i7-3910K central processing unit.

Nothing particular is known about Intel Core i7-3910K processor (product code CM8061901142700, s-spec SR0TN), except the fact that this is a six-core chip with relatively low 3.0GHz default clock-speed and unlocked multiplier. Since the chip belongs to the i7 line of products, it probably has Hyper-Threading technology activated.

Give that Intel hardly needs a reasonably priced six-core microprocessor for successful competition against its only rival Advanced Micro Devices in the channel, it is more likely that the Core i7-3910K is aimed at system makers. Moreover, just like the Core i7-3910XM, which officially does not exist, but is available inside select laptops, the chip may already be on the market inside certain PCs.

Intel did not comment on the news-story.

i7-3910k.jpg

Of course there is the question of what Intel® considers "cost-efficient" but interesting none the less.......:sly:

Source

For sure, it won't be @ the 3820 price level. It would just fit between the 3820 and the 3930k. So I would say around 450 to $500.00. Would probably force AMD to lower the price of their new ultra overclocked, high price 9xxx processors.

Back