• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel RAID is causing me pain

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SHODAN

I knew going in that this was going to be tricky, but I am annoyed nevertheless.

I have three Seagate ST1500DL003 drives connected to the Intel SATA2 ports of an ASRock Z68 Extreme4 board. I want to run these in RAID5.

I believe that when everything it working together I should see sequential read and write speeds of over 200MB/s from the array (as each drive is capable of over 100MB/s sustained):

http://forums.storagereview.com/index.php/topic/29166-raid-5-technical-questions/page__st__10
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=679046
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5382038&postcount=20

I knew that this was going to take the perfect stripe size, cluster size, and partition alignment. What I didn't expect is that it may take the perfect astrological alignment as well! I have gotten very different results while using exactly the same settings for stripe, partition, and format.

I was using a fixed stripe and cluster size, and trying different align=X settings using diskpart to see what worked best. Most were giving write speeds 10-30MB/s, but I hit upon one (align=64, FWIW) that gave me 90MB/s. I wrote it down and continued trying other values, but I didn't find anything else as fast. When I repeated the settings however I got 20MB/s writes! I was determined to get the higher speed again, so I kept trying. To cut it short, I have found that perhaps one in a dozen times, using the same settings, the array will test fast, but all other times it will test slow. (I ran ATTO, CrystalDisk, and AS SDD to make sure the faster result was not an error.) Further, the "fast" ones (which I have had occur about four times now) do not seem to be exactly the same speed as each other. Worse, I had a "fast" array become slow after a reboot, so I cannot even depend on it staying the same! How can I possibly optimize the settings if the results change capriciously?

After realizing that Intel RAID5 was behaving erratically, I thought I would try RAID1, as either that or RAID1+0 was my backup plan if I could not get RAID5 working as I hoped. I built a RAID1 with Intel RST, but the results were poor. The writes were fine at 115MB/s, but the reads were slow, between 37 and 80 MB/s in ATTO. I wondered how Windows RAID would behave, so I built a mirror in Disk Management using the same cluster size. The results were much better than the Intel RST. Reads were 140MB/s in ATTO, and writes were not far behind. I tried a few different settings with Intel RST RAID1 but I never got good results.

I am frustrated with Intel RST RAID. Both level 1 and level 5 appear to be problematic, and level 5 at least, capriciously so. I am using the latest drivers, and I have tried earlier drivers as well with similar results. It was my intention to "accelerate" whatever array I built using SSD caching (Intel Smart Response Technology), and I wanted to use RAID5, otherwise I would just use Windows RAID (which allows neither).

What should I do or try now?

Last edited:
These drives are SATA3 drives and even though SATA3 is backwards compatible with with SATA2 the listed hard drive specs were taken from a SATA3 connection which could possibly have something to do with any descrepancy you see in results.

For testing purposes I would stick to using ATTO becuase the results from this software most closely reflect published manufacture specs.

RAID 1 only needs two disks, not three....

RAID 5 with 3 drives should be about twice as fast on read and write compared to a single drive in the array... (n-1)X Read & (n-1)X Write
So it definitely sounds like you have an issue here. I would go with the largest stripe size you can set, something like 64KB and try it again.

Before you do, try updating all the drives to the same firmware revision and completely erase them using killdisk by writing zeros to the entire drive. Make sure your BIOS is configured properly for RAID and then set it up after the POST by pressing Ctrl+I (this may be different depending on what controller youre using). I would also put your other SATA devices on a different controller.

Good luck

Why are you aligning HDD's? You should only align SSD's in which W7 does it automatically...

ATTO results most closely reflect published MFG specs on SSD's... no clue what HDD's use...

I also thought that RST technology was for using an SSD as cache...

Im completely confused at the methods used here...unless my knowledge is lacking, which it certainly could be, it seems like you are frankensteining advice/procedures which do not apply to your situation...

King, I don't think SATA2/3 is the problem. The individual drives test well enough on the SATA2 connectors. Results were similar between the benchmarks, so that's not it either.

Your expectation of (sequential) RAID5 speeds agrees with that of others, assuming that everything is tuned correctly.

I know RAID1 uses two disks; my point is that Intel RST RAID1 is not performing well for me (slow reads).

The drives were purchases together, and have the same firmware according to the utilities I used.

BIOS was set to RAID before installing Windows. I tried configuring the RAID5 both from BIOS (Ctrl+I) and from the Windows Intel RST utility.

No other devices are on the Intel SATA controller. The optical and boot drives are on the Marvel SATA3 ports.

RE: "Good Luck," thanks, I am going to need it apparently. Thank you for the suggestions nevertheless.

EarthDog, I am (or at least was) attempting to get a correctly fast RAID5 set up on the onboard SATA controller. I will entertain any suggestions for achieving this. If you read these threads, you will have a better idea of why I was doing what I was doing:

http://communities.intel.com/thread/18400 (page 3 especially)
http://forums.storagereview.com/index.php/topic/29166-raid-5-technical-questions/

I certainly am not getting the desired speeds, and these threads lead me to believe (primarily posts by DarkKnight) that in addition to cluster and stripe size, alignment is important. Further, the drives I am using are internally 4K drives, though they are supposed to use "SmartAlign," whatever that truly means.

I have continued to experiment without improvement. Since I am getting erratic results, I am disinclined to continue testing, since the data I create is apparently useless. It appears that with Intel RST, only with RAID0 is it easy to get fast speeds. I cannot test RAID10 because I only have three drives, but since RAID1 is behaving poorly, I have no reason to believe it will work correctly, easily.

If no other suggestions are forthcoming, I will create a two disk RAID0 and use the remaining disk for a daily incremental backup of the most important 50% of the array. I cannot think of another solution, if I want better-than-single-disk sequential reads & writes, and still hope to use SSD caching on the same device.

Did you manage to solve this in the end? have just got myself an ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 motherboard with 4 x 3TB drives. I have a SSD drive as my boot drive, so that is separate but I want to run the 4 x 3TB Western Digital Green drives in RAID5.

Initially I set up the RAID5 from the configuration screen just after the BIOS (64kb stripe), and then in Windows 7 x64 I used the IRS software to initialize the drive. When that took absolutely ages I deleted the volumes and recreated it in IRS with write caching enabled and that too is taking about 75 minutes per 1%. However, before initializing it in IRS I initialized it in Windows so I can see 8.5TB drive in My Computer whilst the initializing through IRS is still going on.

It will take 5 days to initialize the array... is this normal? How do I know what stripe/cluster/offset/alignment etc I need to set and how would I set them?

12TB is a lot of storage to format and configure but thats too long. In my past expirence when this proceedure was taking excessively long it was due to corupted or old drivers. Try getting the latest Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers and it couldn't hurt to make sure your BIOS and Chipset are current as well...

Well it is a brand new build and I got all the latest drivers off the internet. The only thing I haven't checked is the BIOS version, so I will try that.

Should I be using IRS and the corresponding drivers or shall I use Windows to configure everything?

Well, it will be setup during the POST (this is where you set the stripe size to 64kb). The other portion of the set up is done by windows using the drivers from Intel RST...

Well, it will be setup during the POST (this is where you set the stripe size to 64kb). The other portion of the set up is done by windows using the drivers from Intel RST...

Well initially set it up during POST, but then when I saw the initialization taking ages I deleted the array and set it up using the software.

I have just confirmed that I am running the latest version of everything, so that isn't the issue.

Have you initialized the drives from the device manager?

Does the device manager display the drive as a single drive of 9TB? (1-1/n, n=4 => 75% of 12TB = 9TB)

It is possible one of the drives in the array is bad...

Yeah, I did it through the drive manager and it showed up as 8. something TB. The array works but I read it needs to be initialized through the Intel software.

I broke up the array, ran the Western Digital Diagnostics and all drives are fine. Recreated the RAID using the configuration after POST, Windows picked it up straight away so I initialized it in Disk Management. Then I started the initialization through IRST and in 8 hours it has done 11%.

I suggest that you write a article about the performance of the Intel Rapid storage system with a RAID5 array.

It appears to be very difficult to find reviews where there is mention of the onboard RAID 5 performance of an Intel Z68 based motherboard.
intel rst raid performance would be very good, the problem is it sucks

"hshah":
I got tired of looking for Intel RST performance on late Intel chipset motherboards and especially so in Raid5. Been hitting links and reading between the lines for a couple of hours now since I like to get a general direction of todays technology. After all that reading it was sort of a general idea that RST has for sure problems with raid5 performance.

Then I started looking for 'green drives' in raid and found that green raid is not necessarily so 'in' yet. WD specifically states that their green drives are not rated for other than consumer raid 0 and 1. Don't think they are even warrantied when run in enterprise type raid 5.

Based on a couple of hours of searching between the lines of 'hype', it is not a surprise your performance is less than expected just as the original poster in this thread had found.

Well performance wise my RAID 5 is fine... it reads at ~350MB/s and writes at ~200MB/s and since this array is purely for storage this is faster than what I need. My question is that initializing the drives through IRS takes ages. It has now been running for 15 hours and done just under 20%. Is that normal?

Well performance wise my RAID 5 is fine... it reads at ~350MB/s and writes at ~200MB/s and since this array is purely for storage this is faster than what I need. My question is that initializing the drives through IRS takes ages. It has now been running for 15 hours and done just under 20%. Is that normal?

Software RAID, 8tb, doesn't surprise me.

Well it was started at around 23:30 (GMT) on Wednesday and now it has reached 96%. It should be done by 15:00 (GMT) today (Sunday).

Well as long as it continues to progress I would let it keep going. BTW you mentioned read/write times but you haven't had this running yet... I'm confused.

I ran the speed tests before the initializing the array. It finished on Sunday so been copying my data to it since.

Hmm... something isn't right. It is copying large files to it at just over 6MB/s :(

/Edit: Ignore that... it is because after a brief power cut it is verifying and repairing the array.

Last edited:
Back