• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel to debut 6 core gaming chip

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The article only refers to it as a 'gaming chip' to describe its number-crunching power. Other than that, the chip and its official name have been known for quite some time, so there isn't much to discuss given this article.

Am I the only one who thinks 6 cores is a waste of parallel power...? Software is still lagging way behind. I'd much rather have fewer cores and a faster clock.

Am I the only one who thinks 6 cores is a waste of parallel power...? Software is still lagging way behind. I'd much rather have fewer cores and a faster clock.

For most people and most situations, software is way behind. However, for certain rendering and other tasks, a 50% increase in cores would provide an immediate and significant increase in performance.

But just because software is trailing hardware doesn't mean hardware advancement should slow down. Software just needs to pick up the pace!

Yeah, Amtrak hit the nail on the head with that statement. People who run DC projects are another group who will see an immediate benefit from 6 cores. I don't know about the F@H clients, but I do know that the BOINC client easily adapts to using as many cores as your computer has, with a damn near linear performance gain in number crunching. BOINC does this by processing more information in parallel, with more work units being processed simultaneously.

With that said, I think you will start seeing a performance difference with these six cored monsters when running dual channel memory versus triple channel memory. Right now there is almost no difference with the quad core procs, but I think when you throw in 2 more cores into the mix you will see a difference.

Confused why they would call this a gaming CPU, Decoding or Folding CPu would be more fitting, 6 core chip is not going to anything for your gaming rig over a good dual or quad core

Confused why they would call this a gaming CPU, Decoding or Folding CPu would be more fitting, 6 core chip is not going to anything for your gaming rig over a good dual or quad core

Marketing :) they don't need to sell to those in the know!! Most of us know specs on a cpu before the general public knows anything. Hell I would bet half the PC owners out there dont know what CPU they have or even who made it (even though is says so no that HP or eMachine or whatever). They (AMD soon as well) are marketing to the general public and to the normal person 6 is better than 2 or 4. LIES = MARKETING. Everyone does it. I have yet to see a bike make even closte to epa fuel economy estimates.

You need to find the sportbike side of life Archer :) Get away from those leaky harleys :D

I ride Suzuki? I think, I gotta look at the name plate. Actually I haven't ridden in a while but spring is around the corner. I also have a back problem (It hurts when I see people on those little things all bent over like they got kicked in the nuts).

Lulz @ Archer.

With that said, I think that the whole "many core" situation is really much more prominent in servers, folders/crunchers and people who use 3d rendering to make scenes with trillions of tri's. In my honest opinion, it was a foolish move to market a 6-core cpu as gaming. Marketing or not, it was in the wrong place. It all comes back down to the software; Example: The games that are out now are just starting to use multi-core and with a few many-core. One the other hand, 3d rendering programs have been optimized to use as many cores as the rig had and then on top of that, throw the gpu into the power as well. It's much more necessary to have more cores in very intensive tasks more than games. Like Shiggity said, "A cheap overclocked wolfdale can keep a brand new GPU plenty busy."

They (AMD soon as well) are marketing to the general public and to the normal person 6 is better than 2 or 4.

In my honest opinion, it was a foolish move to market a 6-core cpu as gaming.

The general public is clueless!!! Most educators are clueless! That's correct, I said it, the people teaching the technology are pretty much clueless as well. Be it at HS or university level they don't know. It is not that they have not got the intelligence they just don't have the information.

Now how can one correct this? HINT: You cant. People really don't care. If it says it plays games better then they believe it, no matter what any of us say.

I think it may be able to pull a few extra FPS @ stock compared to other CPU's @ stock and perhaps that is how they are thinking of it.

How many people outside of these tight community's know what the hell overclocking really is anyway? All people want is to push a button and everything run, check the email and play a game. They don't need to know that they are getting crappy frame rates in their online games, they think they get fragged because they suck at the game.

How can those of us who do know help those who dont?

Yeah Archer, you nailed it right on the head there. :rock: Most people don't have a clue and don't give a damn; they just believe the marketing slop they are fed. And it doesn't help matters that a supposedly technology-savvy site like cnet is the one dishing out this slop either. Money talks and BS gets printed. ;)

Archer is right that's just marketing silliness, the people who know they can use 6c/12t already know it and don't need to be 'sold.' At the same time he may go a little too far :p Recent benchmarks have shown that new games can use more then 2 cores or threads and that 4 cores or threads can be an advantage. The type of 'gamer' that buys this isn't the DIYer obviously but might be someone who buys a highend PC every 4-5 years so they get the best and don't change it. Also I'd say that while there might not be lots of complete DIYers there are people who will swap peripherals or add-on cards.

They should also do a new box design for this cpu then. Something 3DFX style, ya know...like their Voodoo line of video cards. ;)

Back