• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Intel Upcoming 9-series Chipset Won't Support Haswell

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Rumor has it that Haswell-E will support DD4. Late 2014 time frame. - We are not one hundred percent convinced. I remember reading broadwell "alleged" cancellation in early june of this year. Time will tell!

Haswell-E and Broadwell will be DDR4 almost certainly.
That's from what I've read out and around, and based on my interview with Micron at CES.

Haswell-E and Broadwell will be DDR4 almost certainly.
That's from what I've read out and around, and based on my interview with Micron at CES.

Thanks for your update Bob! Schedule is still Q4 2014? Which might be January 2015 (before we know what is what and who is who?)

Based on what they said at CES (which was january of this year, so it has been a bit), "server stuff" was getting DDR4 late this year, with "desktop" DDR4 coming towards the middle/end of 2014.
LGA2011 and whatever socket Haswell-E is on are a semi-server platform, generally included in "server stuff" but not always.
It's possible that DDR4 got pushed up to the Haswell refresh, which would explain the new socket.

At this point, with current information available (rumors, really), I think we can expect the first consumer oriented platform with support for DDR4 to be Haswell-E in H2 2014 and then for mainstream with Broadwell in 2015.

Haswell Refresh should show up before Haswell-E so I'm thinking it is unlikely HR will be the first to have DDR4 as normally it would be the more expensive platform. But eh! Who knows really? :shrug:

Based on what they said at CES (which was january of this year, so it has been a bit), "server stuff" was getting DDR4 late this year, with "desktop" DDR4 coming towards the middle/end of 2014.
LGA2011 and whatever socket Haswell-E is on are a semi-server platform, generally included in "server stuff" but not always.
It's possible that DDR4 got pushed up to the Haswell refresh, which would explain the new socket.

Interesting - it would seem that we are thinking along the same "time-line".

Which makes one wonder if Haswell "refresh" get DDR4 (this is a mighty big IF) - might that possibly be around this time of year? Maybe, just maybe August/September 2014?

I know that there is something "wrong" with this time-line!:p

I'd be fairly surprised if Haswell2 was DDR4, it could happen, but I think the socket change is more likely to be due to making the onboard VRMs work better.

Much thanks! That certainly would make sense. Considering it is a "multi-purpose" type CPU.

Back