• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel vs AMD for gaming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jeff G

Updating this instead of creating a new post.
I ended up with a killer deal on a 1700x.
I passed down the 4690k to the kids.
I have two builds going simultaneously now myself.

Rig 1 is a travel rig used for lan parties and the sort. Gaming at 1080p 144hz. Only playing online multiplayer games (Apex, pubg, 007, overwatch, etc. Lan-type games). This is running an overclocked and water cooled 980 ti.

Rig 2 is my stay-home build that pretty much only plays single player games in full maximum detail glory on my current 3440x1440 monitor (currently playing RE2 remake, Metro Exodus, Hellblade). This one is running a water cooled and overclocked 1080 ti.

Here comes the question: What rig should get the 6700k and which one should get the 1700x? Both will be overclocked and water cooled.

Last edited:
For longevity sake Ryzen. That said if you already have a 4690k, that would be my choice. I mean she is 4....I imagine she's not going to be doing any massively demanding tasks on the Pc... My 15 yr old is still on a 2600k and a GTX 670 playing 1080p games, BF4, COD, Fortnite etc...and he has no issues.

Considering the Ryzen 5 1600 with a matching mb is $105 at Microcenter right now, it would have to be less than that lol.
I think you answered your own question. I'd bet you can find some decent combos online. Ie. motherboard and an I5 processor for around $100.00 but it's used and you have the trust factor.

So confused......not sure what the new question is??? Maybe next time post and ask, then update the first post with a link to your updated question/post. ;)

6700K in 144 Hz machine and the Ryzen in the high res machine since CPU doesn't matter as much.

So confused......not sure what the new question is??? Maybe next time post and ask, then update the first post with a link to your updated question/post. ;)

6700K in 144 Hz machine and the Ryzen in the high res machine since CPU doesn't matter as much.

Sorry, should have been more clear. The question is at the bottom of the first post on this thread. Just wondering what pairing will go better for each of my builds. 6700k w/ 1080 ti and 1700x w/ 980 ti or 1700x w/ 1080 ti and 6700k w/ 980 ti?

Assuming the 980 Ti is going in the LAN rig, the 6700k would be best utilized at the lower resolutions where raw CPU speed would matter most. With the 1080 Ti going in the higher resolution rig the 1700x won't be holding back performance in any real manner. That's my take, anyway.

For a 4 year old???

I have a 220GE processor here with Vega graphics built in. Not sure she'd play anything too much more demanding than roblox or something like Minecraft.....

But then again, my 7 year old found his big brothers GTAV and got caught playing by his mother. All the boys in the house where in deep ****... lol

NEVER MIND> THE OP UPDATED THE OP omg....

1700X for home.

For a 4 year old???

I have a 220GE processor here with Vega graphics built in. Not sure she'd play anything too much more demanding than roblox or something like Minecraft.....

But then again, my 7 year old found his big brothers GTAV and got caught playing by his mother. All the boys in the house where in deep ****... lol

NEVER MIND> THE OP UPDATED THE OP omg....

1700X for home.

I'm so glad my youngest is 19 now. LOL

Sorry, should have been more clear. The question is at the bottom of the first post on this thread. Just wondering what pairing will go better for each of my builds. 6700k w/ 1080 ti and 1700x w/ 980 ti or 1700x w/ 1080 ti and 6700k w/ 980 ti?
got lucky and answered that already. Read the post you quoted. :)

Amd is usually better and it can benefit most from multi-core rendering. Both CPUs are good for gaming, but however AMD offers the stuff at a lower price and with Intel, for playing games, you need a GPU, but with the AMD APUs you don't need one, they are made for gaming

Amd is usually better and it can benefit most from multi-core rendering. Both CPUs are good for gaming, but however AMD offers the stuff at a lower price and with Intel, for playing games, you need a GPU, but with the AMD APUs you don't need one, they are made for gaming
Actually Intel is better for gaming. At 1080p, where an overwhelming majority game, it still manages to be a couple percent faster than amd mostly due to clock speeds. If you are high hz gaming, you want intel, otherwise amd is also good for gaming, just not better performance wise. Higher res, no appreciable difference. AMD does offer a much cheaper solution for almost the similar gaming performance. Intel, non K cpus, have an integrated gpu, much like AMD APUs though it is a lot slower. AMD APUs arent really a great 1080p gaming solution as it struggles to reach 60 fps in many titles.

The point of this old thread though was talking about gaming with a discrete GPU in the first place. :)

Actually Intel is better for gaming. At 1080p, where an overwhelming majority game, it still manages to be a couple percent faster than amd mostly due to clock speeds. If you are high hz gaming, you want intel, otherwise amd is also good for gaming, just not better performance wise. Higher res, no appreciable difference. AMD does offer a much cheaper solution for almost the similar gaming performance. Intel, non K cpus, have an integrated gpu, much like AMD APUs though it is a lot slower. AMD APUs arent really a great 1080p gaming solution as it struggles to reach 60 fps in many titles.

The point of this old thread though was talking about gaming with a discrete GPU in the first place. :)

I wouldn't really say Intel cpu's ar better for gaming. On many titles the 1% lows are much better with Ryzen cpu's as a whole compared to comparably priced Intel cpu's.

AMD 8c/16t 3.7ghz boosts to 4.3ghz vs Intel 6c/6t 3.7ghz boosts to 4.6ghz in a game that doesn't really use more than 4c/8t optimized for Intel... Gee! I wonder who would win...

Quick recap for everyone in this thread that should stop all arguments - Ryzen wins in IPC and price but Intel wins in clock speed and optimization. Overall Intel will win in most games but it costs anywhere between 1.5x-3x as much for the same core count. Average user should go AMD, enthusiast/rich person should go Intel *drops mic*

AMD 8c/16t 3.7ghz boosts to 4.3ghz vs Intel 6c/6t 3.7ghz boosts to 4.6ghz in a game that doesn't really use more than 4c/8t optimized for Intel... Gee! I wonder who would win...

Quick recap for everyone in this thread that should stop all arguments - Ryzen wins in IPC and price but Intel wins in clock speed and optimization. Overall Intel will win in most games but it costs anywhere between 1.5x-3x as much for the same core count. Average user should go AMD, enthusiast/rich person should go Intel *drops mic*

Well I run with both AMD and Intel, so not a fan boy. I recently built a nice cheap Intel ITX rig based around a 6C/6T I5-9400F which only cost $130. Runs sweet with cheap DDR4-2666 and a GTX 1660 Ti. So all Intel rigs are not uber expensive. It's good for the average user since setup is easy, just select XMP for the RAM speed and you're done.

Back