• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel X299 Platform

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
I'm currently on an X99 platform for my main rig, but I'm eyeballing the X299 platform as a potential upgrade to this.

Is anybody else eyeballing this?

Lots and lots of cores on these series of chips, with 4.5 GHz speeds not overclocked. The "low end" chips are slated for a 140 W TPD, with the "high end" chips having 160 W TPD. I'm assuming that Intel will have to use the solder process for die to outer chip package like they currently do with the X99 platform.

The only point of confusion for me is Intel moving away from a 4-channel RAM on the X99 to 2-channel RAM on the X299. So instead of 2 banks of 4 DDR4 RAM, I would be using 4 banks of 2 DDR4 RAM (to fill all the RAM slots.) I am unsure of what this will do for RAM performance. Does anybody have an idea/opinion on this?

High frequency dual channel is as fast as lower frequency quad channel so I guess that if memory controller is good then dual channel won't be slow for 10+ core chips while access time on 2 channels is better ... I see no point in more than 6 cores for a gaming PC, I wouldn't see any point in upgrading from X99 to X299 if it wasn't for work or folding or anything like that.
I'm always buying hardware which is much stronger than my needs. I get bored and waste money on even more powerful hardware which I don't need for anything else than tests. Btw I just ordered GTX1080 HOF just because I really wanted it and price was great ( and I needed one more graphics card but could live with something weaker ).

I guess you will see some comments but personally I'm not expecting it will be any much better than reference card. I just wanted it and it was cheaper than any standard GTX1080. Also cheaper than some GTX1070. First I have to get it.
Sorry for offtopic :)

Did I miss something? I thought X299 was still quad channels, BUT some low end processors for it will be limited to 2 channels. I'm not alone in wondering what the thinking is from Intel to offer quad core dual channel parts on X299 they couldn't do on 270 or future version thereof.

Intel’s new X299 chipset will be the latest PCH to support the enthusiast processors. The X299 platform will be centered around the LGA 2066 socket which will be compatible with at least two generations of processors. In specs, the X299 chipset offers up to 24 PCIe Gen 3.0 lanes. The chip also offers up to quad channel memory with speeds up to DDR4-2667 MHz (native). Kaby Lake-X series processors will only support dual channel RAM but will stick to the native speeds of 2667 MHz. http://wccftech.com/intel-x299-hedt-skylake-x-kaby-lake-x-launch-26-june-nda/

Intel’s new X299 chipset will be the latest PCH to support the enthusiast processors. The X299 platform will be centered around the LGA 2066 socket which will be compatible with at least two generations of processors. In specs, the X299 chipset offers up to 24 PCIe Gen 3.0 lanes. The chip also offers up to quad channel memory with speeds up to DDR4-2667 MHz (native). Kaby Lake-X series processors will only support dual channel RAM but will stick to the native speeds of 2667 MHz. http://wccftech.com/intel-x299-hedt-skylake-x-kaby-lake-x-launch-26-june-nda/

That has different information than the article I read. It's good that it's going to stay at Quad channel.

Back