• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Intel Z690 Chipset for 12th Gen Alder Lake Leaked

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Somehow I doubt that the new CPU will change anything significantly but marketing will shout about every single improvement. Games mainly base on GPUs performance as CPUs are fast enough for years. Still, there is a lot of noise about every new CPU like it could change everything. I would be much more interested in Nintendo upgrading Switch with a faster CPU+GPU but for PC? ... most users don't need that and reasonable seems an upgrade every 3-4 years but for sure not every generation. If not tests/reviews/overclocking, I would sit on a 5 year old rig.

Somehow I doubt that the new CPU will change anything significantly but marketing will shout about every single improvement. Games mainly base on GPUs performance as CPUs are fast enough for years. Still, there is a lot of noise about every new CPU like it could change everything. I would be much more interested in Nintendo upgrading Switch with a faster CPU+GPU but for PC? ... most users don't need that and reasonable seems an upgrade every 3-4 years but for sure not every generation. If not tests/reviews/overclocking, I would sit on a 5 year old rig.

That can be said for every CPU release. Zen 3 is slightly faster than Zen 2. Rocket Lake is... complicated :D No one has needed to upgrade every generation unless you're doing something that relies on having access to it, such as hardware testing. Either the CPU directly, or its interoperability with other stuff.

Still, Alder Lake has a long list of "new" things to look at. How does hybrid cores work in practice? DDR5? PCIe 5.0? Does Intel 7 process bring about the promised efficiency improvements? And stoking the fanboy wars, will it beat Zen 3? I can imagine the arguments on how to compare CPUs heating up too, given it is less obviously direct than before.

If I still had disposable income I'd get one without hesitation. This is the biggest thing in x86 for a long time. But reality says, stop buying more systems as I have more than I need already, and they're struggling to sell without GPU unless I practically give them away. So I'll have to make do with other's reviews which will not capture the edge cases I'm most interested in.

That can be said for every CPU release. Zen 3 is slightly faster than Zen 2. Rocket Lake is... complicated :D No one has needed to upgrade every generation unless you're doing something that relies on having access to it, such as hardware testing. Either the CPU directly, or its interoperability with other stuff.

Still, Alder Lake has a long list of "new" things to look at. How does hybrid cores work in practice? DDR5? PCIe 5.0? Does Intel 7 process bring about the promised efficiency improvements? And stoking the fanboy wars, will it beat Zen 3? I can imagine the arguments on how to compare CPUs heating up too, given it is less obviously direct than before.

If I still had disposable income I'd get one without hesitation. This is the biggest thing in x86 for a long time. But reality says, stop buying more systems as I have more than I need already, and they're struggling to sell without GPU unless I practically give them away. So I'll have to make do with other's reviews which will not capture the edge cases I'm most interested in.

The point is that all these things are interesting for enthusiasts and overclockers ... so you see it interesting, most users don't care and can barely see the difference or they trust what marketing is pushing. The same story is every new CPU release and we know that, but most "regular" users or "gamers" don't.
It's good to see some new things as Intel was only refreshing their series for some longer. I wonder how vendors will handle DDR5 as there are expected different types of modules for gaming/overclocking and regular work. I highly doubt that DDR5 will change anything (at least in these first chipset/IMC generations) but again, it's nice to test something new.

I wonder how vendors will handle DDR5 as there are expected different types of modules for gaming/overclocking and regular work. I highly doubt that DDR5 will change anything (at least in these first chipset/IMC generations) but again, it's nice to test something new.

I'd have to guess we'll see the usual split. JEDEC standard 4800 as baseline. XMP 4800+ for enthusiasts, and you pay as much as you like to go above that.

Recognising my interests don't match mainstream, I still think CPU performance balance is too far on the cores and an uplift in bandwidth is long overdue. While DDR5 will eventually offer 2x over DDR4 I guess we're looking at only 50% to start with (comparing JEDEC offerings).

I think the generational comparisons to look at are:
JEDEC 3200 vs JEDEC 4800 best official speed comparison.
XMP 3600 vs XMP ??? "affordable" enthusiast vs enthusiast
XMP 4800 vs JEDEC/XMP 4800 equal speed, different timings. In case of trouble reaching 4800 on DDR4 then lower speed can be used on both.
How does the on chip ECC affect OC, if at all?
How does the on module voltage conversion affect OC?
Does the 2x32-bit channels per module offer an advantage over the 1x64-bit channel per module we're used to?

CPUs and motherboards available for preorder at Newegg. So I preordered a combo for the fun of it:

i5-12600K (6P-4E)
ASUS Prime Z690M-Plus D4 Micro ATX

$270 for the Asrock Extreme. Not bad at all...

$600 for the Asus Maximus and $470 for the Aorus Master. Holy crap.....I'm not going to be an early adopter.

Can't wait for the ITX releases.

$270 for the Asrock Extreme. Not bad at all...

$600 for the Asus Maximus and $470 for the Aorus Master. Holy crap.....I'm not going to be an early adopter.

Can't wait for the ITX releases.

~ $440 for the ASUS Strix Z690-I ITX (DDR5) and ~ $290 for the GIGABYTE Z690I AORUS ULTRA DDR4... :eek:

Motherboard pricing keeps heading up as each additional generation gets released.

I went for $190 on the Asus Prime Z690M-Plus D4. Asus boards, unlike ASRock, Gigabyte and MSI have oblong Heatsink mounting holes so you can use older LGA 1151 and LGA 1200 coolers and AIOs.

Asus Z690.jpg

~ $440 for the ASUS Strix Z690-I ITX (DDR5) and ~ $290 for the GIGABYTE Z690I AORUS ULTRA DDR4... :eek:

Motherboard pricing keeps heading up as each additional generation gets released.

Those high prices are nothing new, high-end Z590s and X570s can go for $800 if you're foolish enough to spend that much. For example the ASUS Strix Z590-I ITX is $429 at Newegg. So the new Z690 version is just $11 more. The GIGABYTE Z590I AORUS ULTRA is the exact same price as the new version at Newegg, $290.

I see that many models are pretty average but highly overpriced. Everything from ASUS or MSI is overpriced and can find something from Gigabyte much cheaper (even though still not cheap). It's like Z590 +20-30% for most models. Like Z690 Unify costs 30% more than the Z590 Unify and there is nothing really special that could cost this price bump. I was also comparing some models and if we stick with the Unify then 30% cheaper can get Carbon/Force which has almost the same OC and VRM design and the same official maximum DDR5 clock.

One more thing. I see that ASUS bumped prices and already made a promo - cashback when you buy the mobo with the CPU. The promo is in the EU for sure but only in some bigger stores. I'm not sure if the same is in the US. Anyway, after the cashback, prices are still high but close to the MSI offers.

@Voodoo Rufus, you can check ASUS, ASRock, MSI, and Gigabyte offer on their website.
After the pretty average ASRock Z490/Z590 ITX mobos, I'm not so sure if the Z690 is any special. From the last-gen, the best ITX was Z590I Unify. I haven't seen MSI Z690I Unify listed yet so I guess it will be delayed but still in plans for the next weeks.
Gigabyte Z690I AORUS Ultra looks pretty good for the price. It's about 40% cheaper than all other ITX options with all the higher features.

I saw the pricing yesterday too. Gonna pass this round since I really don't need another system and this isn't exactly loose change. What is DDR5 pricing like? That was absent where I was looking, although the CPU/mobo had pricing.

I haven't seen the actual availability of DDR5. I guess it will be listed next week. I'm waiting on some samples as I heard that prices will be ridiculous and availability limited. Some of my contacts still don't have finished products or don't have samples at all. At the same time, I heard that samples of motherboards with DDR5 support are limited too.

Newegg listed a kit of GeIL DDR5 4800 2x16GB CL40 for $349.99 at one time. It has probably been taken down by now since they weren't supposed to list it yet. Factor in the fact that 4800Mhz C40 is the base speed for DDR5 along with the fact that GeIL hasn't been a major player for a while and you can easily extrapolate this into believing these kits are going to be quite expensive for a few years.

I haven't seen the actual availability of DDR5. I guess it will be listed next week. I'm waiting on some samples as I heard that prices will be ridiculous and availability limited. Some of my contacts still don't have finished products or don't have samples at all. At the same time, I heard that samples of motherboards with DDR5 support are limited too.
Same here. This launch has been quite a ****show for some. I was supposed to get a launch kit from a partner but it's stuck in customs... so I have 4 boards, but no cpu (luckily I reached out to others and one arrives today). I know others who have cpus but no boards, ram, or cooling.

But yes. I only worked with one vendor and they could only get one set of ram.l due to availability.

Same here. This launch has been quite a ****show for some. I was supposed to get a launch kit from a partner but it's stuck in customs... so I have 4 boards, but no cpu (luckily I reached out to others and one arrives today). I know others who have cpus but no boards, ram, or cooling.

But yes. I only worked with one vendor and they could only get one set of ram.l due to availability.

I had to order the CPU as one vendor canceled the review package due to some issues with the motherboard availability. So the CPU will be next week as I have a confirmation but shipping won't be before the premiere. 3 motherboards are on the way but all for DDR4. 3 DDR5 kits are on the way too but 2 have a delay in shipping and will arrive in about 2 weeks. So I guess I will start with DDR4 anyway. I may consider buying something for DDR5 and looking at the price/performance/features, Gigabyte looks the best. Even their ITX mobo would be more than enough and it costs under $300.
I have cooling from Noctua. The black version of the NH-U12A comes with the LGA1700 mounting kit. I didn't even ask anyone else about coolers but I guess I could get at least one AIO.

Btw. Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5200 is listed for not much more than DDR4 in one EU store. Some other brands have sick prices but I have no idea how it will look in 2-3 weeks.

There's been quite a lot of that (shipping issues), yep.

Funny enough, I don't have any DDR4 boards for launch. I would love to have seen at least one so I could compare....not that it will be much difference at all, but still.

I asked for DDR5 mobos and I got only DDR4 ... various issues with availability, delays in shipping, or "we had only 2 samples for the whole EU" ;)

I see that many models are pretty average but highly overpriced. Everything from ASUS or MSI is overpriced and can find something from Gigabyte much cheaper (even though still not cheap). It's like Z590 +20-30% for most models. Like Z690 Unify costs 30% more than the Z590 Unify and there is nothing really special that could cost this price bump. I was also comparing some models and if we stick with the Unify then 30% cheaper can get Carbon/Force which has almost the same OC and VRM design and the same official maximum DDR5 clock.

One more thing. I see that ASUS bumped prices and already made a promo - cashback when you buy the mobo with the CPU. The promo is in the EU for sure but only in some bigger stores. I'm not sure if the same is in the US. Anyway, after the cashback, prices are still high but close to the MSI offers.

@Voodoo Rufus, you can check ASUS, ASRock, MSI, and Gigabyte offer on their website.
After the pretty average ASRock Z490/Z590 ITX mobos, I'm not so sure if the Z690 is any special. From the last-gen, the best ITX was Z590I Unify. I haven't seen MSI Z690I Unify listed yet so I guess it will be delayed but still in plans for the next weeks.
Gigabyte Z690I AORUS Ultra looks pretty good for the price. It's about 40% cheaper than all other ITX options with all the higher features.

No idea about Asrock's Z490 and 590 (don't like the daughterboard config on the 490, 590 looked better), but my Z390 PG ITX is a nice little board.

No idea about Asrock's Z490 and 590 (don't like the daughterboard config on the 490, 590 looked better), but my Z390 PG ITX is a nice little board.

Yes, the Z390 was pretty good but the next two were worse than ASUS or MSI and ASRock raised the price. I had them as a review of samples, both sold, and bought something else. I still have Z590 Unify in my gaming PC, and it overclocks RAM much better and it didn't cost much more (actually I made DDR4-6400 on this board and top 10 in RAM clock on hwbot on nothing but a small air cooler).
I have no idea what about the Z690 but I have had enough of ITX for some time. If I get the review sample then great, if not then I won't buy it as I have Z590 ITX with ES CPU which (at least in theory and within' license rules) can't be sold. For AMD I have ASUS B550-I Gaming ITX, which is also the best for memory OC + CHVIII Impact will be back from RMA soon so I'm covered with the ITX/DTX.

What I need right now is a solid ATX/EATX mobo with DDR5 for all the tests/reviews that will also have longer support in case of any weird BIOS/firmware fixes. Intel failed pretty much every chipset premiere in the last years and they were fixing LAN/WiFi, USB, and other things multiple times. I hope it won't happen now.
I just ordered Gigabyte Z690 Master, because if we compare features then it's +/- the same as 30-40% more expensive ASUS or MSI mobos. It still has 10G LAN and all other top features that can be found on Z690 mobos, maybe except for Thunderbolt 4 but I don't think I will need it. I also had no Gigabyte for a long time so I thought I will try.

Back