• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intellimouse Explorer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gravitywell

was wondering about LED mods in my MS Intellimouse Explorer...is it possible through that [email protected]$$ red plastic? or do one of your resourceful modders have a clear plastc base? and for the color, does the color change the sensitivity of the optical mouse?

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
I am still confused as to why everyone is obsessing over blue lighting...

Changing the LED to a blue one can effect the accuracy of the optical sensor, but the amount that it's effected is debated by a number of people. The effect varies from brand to brand and I've tried it myself on a couple.

And sorry. I haven't seen any custom base plates for M$ mice.

DRaZZ

there are no screws that i can see, and all the threads i have read, always bypass the stripping of the mouse, just how the }{3LL does it come apart ?

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
DRaZZ said:
there are no screws that i can see, and all the threads i have read, always bypass the stripping of the mouse, just how the }{3LL does it come apart ?
The screws are hidden underneath the teflon feet. You need to pry them off with a pocket knife or something.

OP
G

gravitywell

I never said blue ;) I was thinking green, to match my chiftec dragon...aye, I've had the mouse apart, but if green won't accuratly show through the red plastic base...why bother resoldering another LED in

Slogan

i believe, not positive, that green is the fastest traveling color.. :\ so maybe that would have a better effect on the rate

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
Green isn't the fastest traveling color (as all colors travel at the speed of light), but it certantly is the one that is most visible by the human eye. Though that dosen't mean the sensor could see it very well. I would try it because green is closer to red on the spectrum (compared to green), so may work.

JigPu

koby

Disabled
yeah a blue led in the mouse for the optical sensor is not always a great idea...

BUT

no one said you can't just throw in 2 or so blue leds where light will show through, as to maintain your red led for the mouse tracking and the blue leds just for lighting if that makes you happy

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
just for a note about blue LEDs. I had a problem with my logitech dual optical 'waking'. Running the mouse off the USB has totally solved the problem. the ps2 voltage must be to low.

Docta_Z

Slogan: Green is in the middle of the specrtum
Bomberman: Blue has more energy then Red light does, there is no reason besides lower quality leds where there would be less performance. The only reason companies use red LED's is because they are half the cost as any blue led. This whole color idea is plain stupid. Buy yourself high quality LED of the same responsiveness has the red one had and you probably will have increased responsiveness. Again: Blue light have a shorter wavelength and more energy, therefor it would travel slightly faster then red light. There is NO theoretical proof that is makes a mouse worse. It all depends on the quality of LED

lazerin

The reason they use red LEDs is cause it gives the best contrast to depth for the weak CMOS camera lens to read. This is what gives it the accuracy and responsiveness.

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
stompah said:
just for a note about blue LEDs. I had a problem with my logitech dual optical 'waking'. Running the mouse off the USB has totally solved the problem. the ps2 voltage must be to low.
PS/2 and USB have the same voltage, but the amount of current that the average USB is required to supply is greater than the average PS/2.
I don't recommend trying to stuff more than 2 or 3 LEDs into one PS/2 mouse.
I'm not sure what the upper limit for current is with USB.
Docta_Z said:
Bomberman: Blue has more energy then Red light does, there is no reason besides lower quality leds where there would be less performance.

Hahahahaha, someone called me Bomberman.
(read what lazerin said)

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
Captain Slug said:

PS/2 and USB have the same voltage, but the amount of current that the average USB is required to supply is greater than the average PS/2.
I don't recommend trying to stuff more than 2 or 3 LEDs into one PS/2 mouse.
I'm not sure what the upper limit for current is with USB.

Well with exactly zero other things changed, my mouse wakes easier on the USB.

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
green is special onlly for human eyes

we can pick out more shades of green than anyother color

thats why they use green in night vision googles

just a warn of warning i opened mine once to get all this gunk out and it broke so i think there pretty sensitive