• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intels Hyper Thread = Bad News for AMD??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Please refrain from flaming other members.

Thelemac

Last edited by a moderator:
EluSiOn said:
First, AMD didn't invent Hypertransport, It is Digital, maker of Alpha Chip. Hypertransport is no BS technology like MMX.

But the K7 was mostly adapted technology from the DEC Alphas. And the K8 has a ton of K7-derived tech in it. AFAIK AMD owns the rights to that technology, which includes Hypertransport. I could be wrong, but I thought Hypertransport was an AMD-only thing these days.

I think _everybody_ got a piece of DEC. Compaq got most of their systems level stuff. AMD took some of their IP. And Intel got a DEC fab and some more IP.

NO LIFE said:
Flame post edited out

dude, that was such a harsh post, now i have an overclocked athlonxp 1600 oced to 2000 speeds and my r8500 almost to gf4 4200 speeds. Seriously, i bet your 2ghz p4 would be "masacred" by my system.

Just post your 3dmark compare url and lets get this straight...

im not trying to probe nothing, but you dont have such a system to brag about around here with that type of comments

Last edited by a moderator:
1.8GHz is actually a little more than 2200+ speeds... I'm running at 1.73 = 2100+... We would both rip a 2.0 Pentium to shreds.

I bench slightly lower than a 2.4 PIV LOL

I dont want to be harsh...sorry if I came off that way but, thats kinda my personality...(I call my mom a fool). You would have to meet me to know...anyway

Im not saying my system would by any means beat yours...I mean it Dell cmon lets be fair. I admit for the money AMD is the sane choice processor wise, but saying you would pick an Intel to bring it home an watch your 1800 "crush" is ludicrous. Remember to this is all NON-overclocked.

Back to me "bragging"--Im not bragging about my system Im bragging about Intel's harware. BTW out of curiousity what are your 3DMark scores for both ur rigs?

EluSiOn said:

CPU has two calculation units. Integer and Floating point. CPU w/o hyperthreading can only do one type calculation at one time, but CPU with hyperthreading can do 1 integer calculation and 1 floating point at the same time. Hyperthreading would kick off if the application is optimized for hyperthreading.

This accessment is incorrect. Where did you get this information?
The HT technology works by creating 2 logical CPU's each working as a FULLY functional processors both doing floating point and integer calcs. Here is the information that will clear this up.

Sounds to me like a simple miss-read on someones part...Im sure thats what he meant.

Did u read all 15 pages....thats a touch too boring for my liking...Im gonna go play UT2003 or BF1942 now Thank you.:temper:

Ok, no need to continue flaming and crapping on the thread with off topic "my PC is better than yours" arguments. NO LIFE said he didn't mean to come off that way and apologized so let it go.

This is a thread about Intel's Hyperthreading being a threat to AMD CPUs.

Back