• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel's NUC: what is the market for these boxes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I got one for my mother because she said every thing i built her was big and ugly, she loves it.

Intel is now marketing NUC's (Next Unit Computing) boxes. To me it just looks like a set-top box or an HTPC. Is this what Intel is aiming these devices at?

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...s/000005545.html?wapkw=intel+nuc+kit+nuc5ppyh

Saying "now" is a bit of a misnomer. These devices have been around for over 3 years. EarthDog listed the various "examples" of usage for them. I personally own an HP Stream Mini (same basic design) and use it for our HTPC in the family room to browse the internet and use XMBC to stream my digital content from my server.

Keep in mind, most people don't need the best of the best of the best or care (or know) about upgrading. You don't need a hex core with 32gb of ram and twin Titans to browse facebook, run Word, and watch the occasional youtube video. These little boxes are perfect for that. Small, low powered, and like CD's mom pointed out, not everyone wants to stare at something that looks like an aborted transformer.

Last edited:
My company uses NUCs for many of the workstation PCs. They have a VESA mount, and you can mount them to the back of a monitor...desk clutter gone.

The Intel NUC's specs don't fill me w/confidence about its "gaming" abilities.

Do any other manufacturer's of SFF PC's have VESA mounts?

I just got into these mini pc boxes. Picked up the Gigabyte Brix A5557 and it's my main rig right now. Big thing I wanted something as small as possible to attach to my TV and hide while being able to play mainly CS:GO and stuff like D3. Works like a charm and perfect for what I need it for. Honestly it is at the bottom power wise. I run cs:go at 720p lowest graphics with a FPS config to get generally 90-100fps usually lowest it gets is 60's if I run this thing at 3.1ghz with the graphics pushed to 800. But the fans start to howl not a big deal tho with a headset on and it behind the tv.

Great little portable box and as someone mentioned above I think it's great for people who just like to browse the web stuff like that and the few of us niche people who want to game and push it to the limit.

As far as the intel mini pc's not to sure. I'm a AMD fanboi lol.

Back