• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intels on macs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Footba_SWAT5420

i heard a rumor that mac might switch over to intel processors in the next 12 months or so. would this allow you to use OS10 and still be able to play our favorite PC games?

i think your trying to say is mac going to port OSX to x86 arch, i dont know if they are but if they did no it wouldn't allow you to play all the windows based PC games.

Footba_SWAT5420 said:
i heard a rumor that mac might switch over to intel processors in the next 12 months or so. would this allow you to use OS10 and still be able to play our favorite PC games?

the rumors you heard were not about IA-32(x86) they were about IA-64 or Itanium, there have been rumors circulating that mac might switch over to 64-bit and therefore use the Itanium rather than an IBM PowerPC processor which has pretty much hit a brick wall in it's architcture though some of the newer ones that are running at about 1.8GHZ do look very promising

xtrmeocr said:
i think your trying to say is mac going to port OSX to x86 arch, i dont know if they are but if they did no it wouldn't allow you to play all the windows based PC games.

OSX is based largly on a 'free' BSD type of Unix called Darwin which can run on x86 arch allready.. it is the Aqua Desktop of OSX which does not as it is copyright to Apple, You can however run KDE on Darwin for a desktop GUI

Back