• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Interested in lapping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

L4nce0

Registered
I've seen a few posts here about it. The guy who beat me at the last intel LAN fest case mod competition lapped his CPU ( for the record I've had that CPU mag judge before lol)
Its a qx 6700 not really OCed atm, but I will again soon. My question, what is the, realistic results? I cannot find any before / after temps for this. I'm interested in the qx 6000 series results.. Any help? That post below about the not working CPU post lapping is worrisome..

CURTO

I've seen a few posts here about it. The guy who beat me at the last intel LAN fest case mod competition lapped his CPU ( for the record I've had that CPU mag judge before lol)
Its a qx 6700 not really OCed atm, but I will again soon. My question, what is the, realistic results? I cannot find any before / after temps for this. I'm interested in the qx 6000 series results.. Any help? That post below about the not working CPU post lapping is worrisome..

LOL who me?
haha nah man even though i stuffed mine (we think)
i still would say lapping is a great thing to do if you need it
and mean in my case and we proved it in this thread http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=627674
my cpu had a big ****ing volcano of a ***** mountain in the middle of it
and after lapping for about 2 seconds on 600 grit it wore away to copper
(i dont have pics because so far i cant get my comp to work to confirm the lapping worked)
and ive decided now that because the new mobo i got to test mine once and for all was dodgy.. we cannot conclude its dead.. yet
i wouldnt say nah dont do it cause i stuffed mine because well we dont know yet
but do you really have to?
i mean just try the razor-blade test
it will show you if your cpu is warped or not
well warped enough to cause bad contact with the HSF
also u could lap your HSF first and see if that drops the temps?
check the TIM pattern as well to see if the paste is spread out nicely
and uhh.. yeah temp drops ive seen range from 2c to over 10c
really depends on your cpu/HSF i guess

burebista

It depends how concave/convex is your IHS and your heatsink base, on TDP (aka how hardcore OC'ed it's your CPU), on mounting system pressure, on your particular heatsink.
Don't expect miracles, somewhere between 2-3°C with luck. :)

Amtrak

Realistically, don't expect anything more than a couple degrees difference.

Elfie

I lapped my first CPU (Q6600) only because I was getting abnormally high temperatures and the razor blade test indicated that there was a 'bump' on it. As soon as I started lapping it I could see where the bump was and the result was a reduction of 12ºC under load.

However I've lapped a Q9650 and E6600 with no change to the temps, well maybe 1ºC. I got better temperature drops using Cool Lab Pro liquid TIM although I don't believe that was worth the effort required to clean it off.

OP
L4nce0

L4nce0

Registered
Some nice numbers there. awesome. I just did a cold OC on my new mobo, 2.6 to 3.47 just a multiplier and minor fzb.. no volt changes yet. I don't think I want to push any harder till I get the new water blocks for my new mobo.

The guy I know who laps, said go all the way to the core.. I totally don't think so..

Hipcrostino

Or a lot of it, that would take forever! Just remove the IHS and be done with it. Sounds to me like its a miricle it even ran afterwards.

Anyway, what dose lapping an IHS do for a case mod comp?

Last time I did it I saw a 10c drop in temps, but that was a Q6600 and I lapped the heatsink at the same time, so it dosn't really prove anything. (that was on air too btw)