• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Interesting HSF observation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Balrog

Hey All, I got my File Server/Folding Rig up and running, hopefully get Folding@Home set up early next week when my brains a little clearer. I wasn't happy with my CPU temps using my old Coolermaster HCC02 and was considering other choices. I recently came across Dan's Data review of the new Thermaltake Volcano 12 and he thought it was pretty good, I noticed he mentioned that the unit was delivered with the fan blowing down into the HSF not sucking air up through it like its suppose to. W.T.F.? I've heard of special HSF that operated like this but not a Volcano. What the heck I thought, I wonder what would happen to my V-11+ if I reversed the fan. Holy Crap! An immediate 3C degree drop in temp accompanied by a dramatic reduction in the noise as well. Guess this concept works on more than just those special HSF I've read reviews of. So if you've got a Volcano or something similiar give it a try, probally could try this on any HSF if you watch your temps close.

Regards, Balrog

So the volcanoes are supposed to draw the air up (blowing out)? I know the Alpha HSFs do this too, however most blow down.

I've read arguments both ways, and it come down to the design and the individual differences in everyones case.

Regardless, I'll need to experiment. Your experiences makes me want to try it out since I haven't messed around with fan orientations since my PIII O/C days when I had an Alpha.

I put my tornado so it blows up on my SLK-947 and the temperatures were higher than if they were blowing down. It's unique how my system is, my power supply has 2 fans, one of them is blowing down on the processor, as well as the volcano, then i have a 92mm fan off the back side of the case blowing air out. It's in there like a sardine but does rather well for the AN35N

You have a PSU fan blowing air at your HSF? I don't like the sound of that at all. Yeah, the pulling air through the heatsink works better with shrouded sinks like Volcanos.

Regards, Balrog

Edit: Hey Lanman you've got PM!

Last edited:
Back