• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Interesting hybrid card from EVGA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amtrak

http://www.evga.com/articles/00503/

It's a GTX 275 with a GTS 250 core for PhysX, all on one PCB.

For $350, I wouldn't touch it considering something like the 5870 would blow it (and any performance gain from PhysX) away for about the same price. That and few games see any benefit from PhysX.

Still, I think it's an interesting venture.

definitely intresting... id rather have two separate cards that a way i can split em up, run multiple monitors, yadi yada.

interesting idea but completely pointless IMHO.

Cool concept, high price though. Not really worth it when a 9600 or somesuch will do physics just fine. Now for people with cheapo boards (like my g31 mATX) that only have one PCIe slot, it's great.

Probably not a lot of one slot PCIe boards around here though.

Nothing. Physx allows visual snazzyness in games like realistic glass shattering and such.
It doesn't have anything to do with functional gameplay.

what does physx really gain you in performance?

Nothing. Physx allows visual snazzyness in games like realistic glass shattering and such.
It doesn't have anything to do with functional gameplay.

And Physx will run just fine on the same GPU that is rendering the game. You don't need a dedicated card (or a card w/ a dedicated GPU for Physx) for this remedial task. Especially, if you have a GTX260 or greater.

Back