• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Internal diode vs. socket thermistor vs. calibrated probe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've been playing with this idea.....

You can get a cold plate of 1/4" or 3/8" and drill a hole in the middle. Then mark the place the die will rest on the cold plate. Now connect the hole with a corner or the middle of the die. You can put the thermal probe inside the hole and seal it with sillicon.....That way you can have a thermal probe ala Joe without drilling all you heatsink.....you can easily swap heatsinks or waterblocks, add a peltier with the same probe.....

What do you think?

Not such a good idea. Here's why:
If you use a cold plate to implement a sensor on top of the core and then put your HSF on top of it, you will add an additional thermal barrier to the process. The heat from the core will have to migrate across the junction with the cold plate and then migrate across a second junction to the HSF. This causes a loss in thermal conduction efficiency. You be able to read those higher core temps real well though.

Hoot

I have a copperfoot Blorb on my GPU right now. That was where I first tried this arrangement. I'll be using a peltier with a HSF next. I need a cold plate betwen the pletier and the die so I'll need a coldplate....so I won't be adding a new layer to my rig. If you make a waterblock you can make it with a thicker bottom so you could do a hole to instal the termal probe in the bottom.

Well, I thought about it for quite some time. Hope it help

Hoot (Jun 29, 2001 03:10 p.m.):

Paul, yes they are sensitive and fast to register a temperature variation. When I walk up to my PC and stir the air, I can see the one monitoring my cooling air intake fluctuate.
As much a you would like to see a lower temp, I would not do any averaging. Have you modified the position of the in-socket thermistor, placing it dead center under the core and touching the bottom of the CPU? Also, applying a tiny dot of AS where it touches that CPU bottom? You may be surprised that the difference between them will decrease.

Hoot

No I haven't modified the in socket thermister. I think the reason that its so hot is that my ambient is 40c! and thats near the 4th pci slot! I need to get better airflow in my case!

Back