• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Internet Connection Sharing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. $T$

I have two computers over a lan and i have 56k :( and win 2000 on both. How do you share a connection w/56k:eh?:

FeralCom

The simplest and cheapest way is to just install a network card in each and use a crossover cable to connect them. This only works with 2 computers though. The above probably shouldn’t run you over $30 if you look hard.

If you need more instructions, just let me know and I will post a step by step.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
Right click on your My Network Places and select Properties
Right click on your modem and click Properties
Click on the sharing tab and click the "Share this connection" box. Voila!

Both boxes need to be connected over LAN for this to work, however.

OP
Mr. $T$

Mr. $T$

i Have tryed that is does not work is there anything else i have to do to get it to work

and there are all ready connected W/crossover (i made it:) )

dolemitecomputer

So they are networked properly? I believe you find that option in the dial up connection properties. There should be that option to share the connection that Oni mentioned before. Maybe this might help:

The ICS host computer provides a connection through the second network adapter to the existing TCP/IP network. Log on as member of the Administrators group to set up the ICS host computer.
Click Start, click Settings, and then click Network and Dial-up Connections.

Right-click Local Area Connection (the network card that you just installed), and then rename it "The Internet Connection".

In the Network and Dial-up Connections dialog box, two connections are displayed (for different network adapters), The Internet Connection and Local Area Connection.

Right-click The Internet Connection and click Properties.

Click the General tab, and then verify that Client for Microsoft Networks and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) are displayed.

Click the Sharing tab, and then click to select the Enable Internet Connection Sharing for this Connection check box.

NOTE: Make sure that firewall software or other Internet sharing software from a third-party manufacturer has been removed.

Click OK and exit to the desktop.

OP
Mr. $T$

Mr. $T$

One problem there is no "Sharing" tab under the Lan connection