• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Internet Service Provider Humor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KLowD9x

A friend of mines stepdad got DSL. ITS SLOW! SLOWER THAN DU! It goes, then stops for about 10 seconds, then goes, for about 10 seconds, then stops, over and over. I read a thread on here that said you had to leave the modem on for 10 days to let it get used to the lines. I told him this, and he said, "I dont like to leave computer equipment on when im not there. It might catch on fire." So, my friend has been trying to figure out ways to get him to leave it on becuase hes tired of the slowness. I told him to put a brick under it, and put a note on it, "Certified safety Brick! Guaranteed to protect desk from flaming DSL." That didnt work either, he still turns it off. The next step is talking him into cutting the LEDs, so he doesnt know its on.

Mpegger

If the DSL line is really that slow, then theres a problem somewhere along the line. Leaving the DSL "on" for 10 days, or any amount of days, wont make a difference. He sould be getting DSL speeds as soon as he plugs in. Tweaking would affect the speed a little, but even a badly tweeked connection would go faster then dial-up.

OP
K

KLowD9x

Then what was that I read on here about having to leave the modem on for ten days? The thread stated that they were getting crappy performance, and after 6 days, they were getting about 3x the speed....

Daemonfly

Shouldn't have any affect at all. Any DSL installation I've seen gets the regular DSL speeds right away, unless the morons at the ISP or phone company didn't set the line, etc.. up correctly.

Funny how my friend had to call the phone company and tell THEM how to set everything up correctly.

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
Is by any chance AOL or Cox (not quite sure on the Cox bit but sure on AOL) When I had AOL DSL it did exactly that. I had heard that Cox did the same but I am not sure. It is possible that whatever ISP you are using may route its traffic through am AOL system.

The only way to fix this problem is get a new ISP. Goodluck.

OP
K

KLowD9x

Its Alltel, and theyre cheap...so its possibly going through "AOL" (Timewarner?)...Right beside the phone co., is Time Warner, which is the supplier of Road runner, so, they could be buying a (little) bandwidth for the DSL service.

DreamingWolf

Wheel Walker
The bit about leaving the modem on for many days is more modem oriented than DSL, time for the modem to work out the best settings to use, but I've never heard of ten days, two or three, but not ten.

DWolf:cool:

Disputant

I used to leave my DSL modem on for weeks on end, unless verizon crashed on me. I never had any problems like that. Maybe go out to www.dslreports.com and try running a few of their speed tests to see if anything comes up.

Maybe try running a tracert on a web site to see if maybe there is a router or something hosed on their network that they haven't gotten around to fixing yet.

c:\ tracert www.yahoo.com

I could also be a conflict in the network stack, maybe there are old modem drivers installed on the machine or perhaps the drivers for his NIC or the DSL modem need to be reinstalled or updated?