• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

internet sharing between 2 comps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

attack

Ok, I have 2 computers in my room and I want both of them to be on the internet. Our house is wireless so I can only have the wireless NIC in one computer. I got an extra NIC in the computer with wireless NIC and one computer with one NIC and they are connected with a cross over cable. How do I get the computer that has one NIC on the internet? I've eneabled file and printer sharing on the serving computer....

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
if the computer with both the Ethernet NIC and the Wireless NIC can currently surf the internet, all you need to do is grab a "proxy program", install it on the computer that has the internet access, and everything should work.

list of proxy programs:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1113938

One easy one is ICS (internet connection sharing). It comes with windows. Here's a quick way to get that going:
Start/Settings/Network & Dialup Connections
Right click your Ethernet NIC, goto settings
in the Advanced tab, check the "Share internet" box and hit ok.

OP
attack

attack

I'm using win2k pro on both machines....also I did as you said and got nothing...i'm going to try that angel proxy thing.

su root

For ICS to work, you also need to get a new IP on the Wireless-only computer, try restarting it, you should get an IP address that way

OP
attack

attack

Do I enable ICS on the wireless NIC (the one that gets internet access) or the NIC that talks to the other computer? Also by default it sets my IP to 192.168.1.1 or something close to that...do I leave that, and if I leave it do I put the same IP on the compuer that's trying to gain internet access? do I use DHCP on both ethernet NICS? the wireless NIC is setup to use DHCP through our router which also uses DHCP

*edit* also the second computer doesn't have the option for ICS...is that because it has 1 nic...i just want to make sure that's normal.

su root

Here's the process:
Enable ICS on your internet connection of the comptuer that has the internet connection. In the dropdown box where you turn on ICS, you can select the 'LAN' interface, that is your wireless (Local network).
ICS will reconfigure your Wireless NIC to be 192.168.1.1, and will turn on a DHCP server (so your wireless nic becomes a DHCP server).
Then, you just turn on DHCP on your wireless-only computer, and get a new IP (easiest method is to reboot), and you should get an IP like 192.168.1.[random number]. Then everything should just work.

Yeah, you need 2 network connections before the option for ICS will show up.

OP
attack

attack

hmm I don't think I explained this to you right. I have a router in another room which has the actual connection to the internet. my wireless NIC connects to that and gets to the itnernet, that operates via DHCP. In my room I have 2 computers, one with a wireless NIC which broadcastrs DHCP to the router, then a wired NIC that leads to another compuert with a wired NIC.

Which one do I share internet connection sharing with? n the wireless NIC that access the router or the wired NIC that talks to the other computer?

Also if I enable ICS with the wired NIC it sets my wireless NIC to 192.168.0.1 which causes my connection to the router to fail....is there a way to have DHCP on both?

CoolLion

ATC9001 said:

Also if I enable ICS with the wired NIC it sets my wireless NIC to 192.168.0.1 which causes my connection to the router to fail....is there a way to have DHCP on both?

No

You can only have one dhcp server in a netwok segment

bdf24

I'll be setting up a network for a guy I work with tomorrow morning. His OLD pentium desktop has Win95 on it. His new laptop has XP on it. He's got a wireless router and wireless network card for the laptop. He's got an NIC in the desktop with a cat5 cable going to the router.
He's been unable to get the network working. He just hooked it all up and never configured it. I'll get that going for him.

But what I'm wondering is it possible to run ICS on a Win95 machine so the laptop (WinXP) can get online thru the Win95 Desktop machine? He's got Dial up service. I've never worked with Win95 before and wasn't sure if it supports ICS.

CoolLion

ICS starts at windows 98 second edition. If installing that on the box is a problem you have to dl a router package from the net

su root

ATC9001 said:
hmm I don't think I explained this to you right. I have a router in another room which has the actual connection to the internet. my wireless NIC connects to that and gets to the itnernet, that operates via DHCP. In my room I have 2 computers, one with a wireless NIC which broadcastrs DHCP to the router, then a wired NIC that leads to another compuert with a wired NIC.

Which one do I share internet connection sharing with? n the wireless NIC that access the router or the wired NIC that talks to the other computer?

Oh, ok.
You enable ICS on your connection that "has" internet connectivity. In the dropdown box in the ICS menu, you select the connection that you want to share the internet to. So you would share your wireless connection (set as DHCP from Router), to your Wired NIC (acts as DHCP server).