• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intresting Raptor Article.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
This is a very interesting review with some good benchies and kinda good comparisons.

scope it

OP
krag

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Stedeman said:
my only problem is they used 2MB vs the raptors 8MB cache on the other drives

Yeah, thats why I said "kinda good comparisons."

Stedeman

The Half Asleep Member
here is my bench test with an 8MB catche

24938325.jpg

attack

I like the low seek time for the raptors, that's where it kicks a$$. RAID's cool, but from what I've heard the sil's not been playing nice in RAID 0 and causing corruption.

Octogon

Scores

This is with 2X Raptors WD Raid 0 10 K Rpm
Asus A7N8X Dlx, bios 1004 Uber ,10029 Raid, 2.41 Nvidia.

HDTach.JPG

Sandra.JPG

atto.JPG

OP
krag

krag

Classifieds Moderator
YEAH BRO! Isn't it just well...nice...to have Raptor Raid Action??

I know I love mine.

Blkout

Stedeman said:
my only problem is they used 2MB vs the raptors 8MB cache on the other drives

It won't make a big deal, an 8MB buffer is overrated anyway. Small gains, but nothing to write home about.

attack

yeah blk is right 2mb and 8mb don't make a difference in a RAID setup. single drive, yes, but RAID, no.

Wish the raptors just wern't so expensive, I'd run just one for my OS and games...those things get any hotter than say a normal 7200rpm drive?

Blkout

ajrettke said:
yeah blk is right 2mb and 8mb don't make a difference in a RAID setup. single drive, yes, but RAID, no.

Wish the raptors just wern't so expensive, I'd run just one for my OS and games...those things get any hotter than say a normal 7200rpm drive?

From what I've read, they don't get any hotter and they don't get as loud as a 7200rpm HD. Other than the price, this drive kicks some serious butt. I want a pair just to use as the main HD's for the OS on both my PC's, I'll use larger 7200rpm drives as storage on those PC's.

OP
krag

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Blkout said:

From what I've read, they don't get any hotter and they don't get as loud as a 7200rpm HD. Other than the price, this drive kicks some serious butt. I want a pair just to use as the main HD's for the OS on both my PC's, I'll use larger 7200rpm drives as storage on those PC's.

My two Raptor's run very cool, I have touched them with my finger in both load and idle and they are just warm. I can however, hear them startup, it sounds like a faint metalic click with a whine as they spin up to 10k...but the whine is quikly overshadowed by the sound of my Antec 550w fan. Actuallly my psu puts off alot more heat and noise then these drives.