• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ipod anyone!!!! ($200-$300)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
FnP said:

I'm not really sure what you mean by solid state hard drive...
I'm pretty sure there is a hard drive inside with spinning platters and stuff... cause 30gb of ram is a steal for $500 :)

can you elaborate a little bit more on solid state hard drive...

thanks

Yes, solid state is basically like RAM. Although the Ipod is probably using very very slow memory which is why it is that cheap.

damn i hate firewire

are there any that are usb ?

Crash893 said:
damn i hate firewire

are there any that are usb ?

? thats odd...

but yea, the new ones use usb 2.0 (not until june though, and you have to buy an adapter)

firewire > usb 2.0

they are the same speed and its just easier to use firewire.

Maxvla said:
firewire > usb 2.0

actually

Firewire < USB 2.0

Firewire=400mbits per second
USB 2.0=480mbits per second

But since the ipod recharges via firewire i see no point in worring about 80mb/s

timmyqwest said:

actually

Firewire < USB 2.0

Firewire=400mbits per second
USB 2.0=480mbits per second

But since the ipod recharges via firewire i see no point in worring about 80mb/s
80mbits/second is not much to worry about.

they are virtually the same speed. which is what i meant. as if firewire wasn't fast enough.... i sent 1.5gb to my ipod yesterday in about 3.5 minutes.

FnP said:

http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&...n.1912v4doun22aN%[email protected]

I'm getting some conflicting reports.
Others still say iPods have a hard disk with spinning platters, but you tell me its a solid state hard drive.

Can you some me a link or something that proves this?

I was just saying that solid state memory is like RAM, and IF the Ipod uses a solid state then it is very slow memory. I'll try to look for some hardware specs to see what it actually is.

EDIT: http://www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html
the spec sheet says it has 25 Minute skip protection. To my knowledge solid state drives need no skip protection. Thus making the Ipod having a HDD. But it must have some memory too in order to have a 25 minute buffer.

This Cnet review http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/hardware/storage/0,39007131,39006942p,00.htm says the first Ipod (5 GB) had a 4RPM disk drive. But that must be a typo. A 40 RPM seems more realistic.

Last edited:
My buddy has an ipod and says he can hear it "wind up"

last time i checked RAM doesnt wind up ;)

Maxvla said:
firewire > usb 2.0

how so i have to buy a card for firewire

also why cant it charge via usb it provides some power i belive

Crash893 said:

how so i have to buy a card for firewire

also why cant it charge via usb it provides some power i belive

You might be able to, but from what i read it sounds like it's fire wire, on teh other hand the USB will go through the Firewire...ie you need an adapter. So who knows?

yes my 10gb has a hard drive i can barely feel it spin up when i skip to the next song. i believe its got somewhere around 32mb of ram in it which is about 25-30 minutes of songs loaded up. which makes sense for the 25 minute skip protection.

as to the usb2.0 charging.. i don't know. both the usb and the firewire ports are on the dock not the actual unit.

USB most likely doesn't charge up anything. Firewire allows upto 35W of bus power, while USB is merely ~5-8(don't remember the exact number)

i'm 99% sure it's 5v...when connecting the chords to my board from my case the connectors all said 5v.

Furthermore after further reading on apples site, it looks like firewire is the only way to charge so...there ya have it

I've been saving for a new iPod for a while, but wound up with a 10gb Mac version from BestBuy. Although I wanted the newer version, I just couldn't resist.:D It was open-box, so it was marked as $189, and I was able to talk the sales rep. down to $179. It was great, too, because nothing had actually been opened or touched, only the plastic wrap on the outside of the box.

It was extremely easy to go from Mac -> Windows. Just download an update, and then you have a WinPod. This thing is great, but i've still got 8.5gb to fill.:D

-CPFitz-

hey for half the price i dont think you can deny that...if i had 200 right now i'd go to best buy and get it but since i dont i might as well just save up for the new one...smaller and all

My Best Buy said the price was an error and they are actually $300. They went up from $200.

Back