• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IRQ conflict

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YoungstaxGx

My soundblaster Audigy is not operating correctly and i believe it maybe IRQ conflict. I ahve my Ethernetcard/TNT2/and soundcard on the same IRQ...11.....is there and possible way i can change the IRQ?

repo man11

You can really open up a can of worms there. My first step would be to go into the BIOS settings, and disable one or both of your serial ports, assuming you don't use them. I never use them, and I really doubt you use both. That will free up one (or two, if you disable both) IRQ's. Then your system should be able to solve the conflict. You may have to uninstall and reinstall your sound card. Good luck.

OP
Y

YoungstaxGx

where can i disable.....and how do i change the soundcard to a different IRQ.....in my bios i can change it to PCI device (default) or Reserved

repo man11

In my BIOS, the serial ports are in "Integrated Peripherals". Once you disable them, I'd set my resources to "Auto", PnP OS to yes, and let it assign it. Once you free up some resources, it should be able to resolve the conflict. In Win98, you can change the IRQ settings in "Device Manager", but I would only do it manually as a last resort. Or to experiment, and make sure it is the problem.

OP
Y

YoungstaxGx

OK i did that but still no good.....i hear the creative logo at startup music but then there is no other sound......and audioHQ detects like no speakers and it has like no EQs

repo man11

I would remove and uninstall the NIC, remove, uninstall, and switch slots with the soundcard, and then reinstall the soundcard, and its drivers. It's time for me to go to bed, so good luck, I'll check my posts in the morning, I hope you solve it.

OP
Y

YoungstaxGx

k i got the sound to work....i uninstalled the drivers and installed em manually through device manager.....it sais SBLive!2k Audio...wtf and i had to reboot... sound works fine but i cannot use the CTl taskbar or use all the features the soundcard had.....mixer is Emu10kx Audio [D400].......i tried installing new drivers but it said that it did not detect the presence of an audigy card installed....

im on win2k by the way.......do u think i i flash the new bios for my motherboard it will solve the problem?

repo man11

I don't think it's an IRQ conflict, I think you've ruled that out. I'd do a search on issues with that soundcard, maybe delete this thread,(by deleting your first post) and post under sound and video cards. I have no experience withthat particular card, so I don't think I can help. I can't say for sure that a new BIOS would solve the problem, but I think it's pretty unlikely. Have you checked Creative's website? Maybe they have a listing of known issues and solutions, or updated drivers. Good luck.

tlemaste

Registered
I don't remember the details, but there used to be a lot of discussions about supposed incompatibilities between EPoX mobo's and SB sound cards (including the Audigy). Anyway, there were some new drivers put out by Creative, new 4-in-1's from Via. It appears that the problem was the VIA chipset and how it worked with SB. Same type of problem showed up with VIA working with NVidia. Most all of the problems were resolved by NOT installing the VIA 4-in-1 drivers if you were using WinXP,
and by getting the latest drivers for everything INCLUDING the 4-in-1 from VIA for the other Win9x, WinME os's. The cleanest way to get this all done is to go into device manager, remove the device, then re-boot and let Windows re-discover the adapter(s).
I've got the SB Audigy and all the tools (menu's, etc. ) show up. I would also suggest flashing to at least the 2116 bios level. I'm also using WinXP.