• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

irq problems?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
guys, im getting high speed internet today, hooking it to my moms puter then using ICS to my computer, but the problem is when i stick another NIC into her computer it doesnt boot... one time it did boot and stopped at the screeen with all the IRQs and i saw that a TON of stuff had IRQ 11
along with the other NIC thats in there, i need to some how change the IRQs of these, unless there is another problem, i hope i can do this rite away after school because we will have high speed internet rite after school! WOOHOO!!!

tx guys

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
There are a few ways to handle this- the one I usually use is to force slots to handle irqs differently; usually that works fine.

Someplace in BIOS- usually "PCI Plug and Play" or similar- you have the option to let the pc take care of all irq assignments, or specify EITHER specific irqs for a pci slot OR that hardware is isa/legacy or plug and play.

If your bios lets you pick irq then you are golden, if you can only choose between PnP or Legacy it can be a bit trickier.

I usually keep PnP on most slots with JUST the trouble device on legacy/manual irq.

I think MS has some info on controlling irq assignments at the OS level somewhere in TechNet's Knowledge Base too, but I don't have a link to it.

Guero

Check your mobo manual and find out which slots share resources. Move the card around to different slots. You can also go into the bios and disable any resources you are not using (COM2, etc.) That may help free up some IRQs. Try a different NIC if it still does not work.

OP
JFettig

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
GUYS i guess i dont need the second NIC its all integrated AND FAST!!! tx for help