• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is 16GB enough to run linux mandrake 8.2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JayP

I have a 40gig harddrive with 3 partitions. The first 2 partitions are used by WinXP. I want to install Linux Mandrake on the 3rd partition which is 16GB. Would this be enough space to run linux? I don't want to install any linux servers except for maybe a web server. I would use linux for internet use: surfing and newgroups. Maybe even a little desktop/web publishing and light end graphics.

What partitions must I create during installation to have linux run properly? /user /root etc. etc.... I think this is where I screwed up my last install attempt. Please Help! I'd love to get linux running and want to show my support to the linux world!

nihili

Inactive Doc Logic Philosophical Mod
16 is more than plenty. I've got RedHat running comfortably in 3 at the moment. You only "need" two partitions; one swap and one for /. As I recall, Mandrake is pretty good about suggesting a partition scheme based on space. Go with the defaults to start with.

nihili

OP
J

JayP

How is network security with linux mandrake 8.2? Is it hard to set up network and internet firewall?

PolyPill

I'm not a mandrake user, but firewalls are pretty simple. iptables has a bunch of gui tools, very straight forward.

I know redhat has you configure it at installation, I'd think that mandrake would too.

funnyperson1

all you really need for Mandrake is 1.2 gigs...2 should be fine....4-5 would be optimal.....