• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is 256Gigs enough for Win10?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

I'm considering getting a laptop. Many of the ones I'm considering only have 256 Gigs of storage space.

Is this enough for Win10?? That is, I'm concerned that Win10 constantly downloading updates (unlike Win7 where owner can control this!) that I will run out of space sorta.

Will use laptop mostly for WP, net surfing, watching movies while traveling, music. Doubtful I will use it for gaming.

Using windows 10 on my surface for at least a year now as my main school computer - using just over 150 gigs (with a LOT of crap I really should have deleted by now).
I think you'll be fine.

Watch out for any slow downs after a major update/upgrade, the installer might have forced a Compact OS (like file and folder compression for very large parts of the Windows directory).

Yep, I have a Dell XPS 13 with a 256 GB. Just keep an eye on it and you'll have no problem. Enjoy the speed!

That should be plenty unless you keep a lot of large files on there. My Win10 laptop has 23GB used but I don't keep anything on it, only programs I have installed are Word, Excel, Firefox, and Steam.

After cleaning up my system a little a bit I have 113GB free on my 240GB SSD. That's with a large game (Forza 6 Apex) installed also. 256GB is heaps.

Thanks everyone!

The only way it will get that high is if you let it. You will be fine.

If I recall, don't Win10 Home and Win10 Pro force the user to update, unlike Win7 Pro? SO I'm at the mercy of MS updates eating up my drive-- my fear basically. I don't know why so many small laptop now have only 125Gig 256 or 512Gig SSD.

Yep, I have a Dell XPS 13 with a 256 GB. Just keep an eye on it and you'll have no problem. Enjoy the speed!

How do you like that notebook? I was considering it heavily, but the positions of the webcam is a major reason for me NOT to buy it, the price is high too. If the camera was in the normal position, I would have bought it most likely. I love the screen and the physical size of the unit. I can't seem to find anything like it out there.

You can delete leftover update packages if that is what you mean..

Otherwise windows update/downloads itself won't fill up a drive.

You can delete leftover update packages if that is what you mean..

Otherwise windows update/downloads itself won't fill up a drive.

No, I meant how in Win7 you can pick and choose what updates you want. You can't do that in Win10 Pro?

Also, how annoying is it to have Win10 automatic updates always disabling various features of a laptop. My friends are all complaining about various updates that end up disabling their track pad or other features etc. Sounds like Win10 is more of a pain than Win7.

Never seen heard of windows updates disabling features. Hasn't happened to me or in my work environment...

256GB is fine for a non-gaming laptop. Windows usage varies, but remember Win10 has been intentionally designed to run off 32GB and maybe even smaller devices. Updates we can consider in two types: regular monthly updates which are no worse than on Win7, and then the occasional major update. These are the higher risk ones, and early on I had some cases where video-related stuff would behave badly, which was an easy fix by reinstalling the driver. I haven't encountered any trackpad problems but I would look at the same resolution in the first case. To help maximise available space, I run two disk cleanup utilities. First is the Windows built in disk cleanup wizard, which now also has the ability to remove outdated Windows Update files. If not been run in a long time, that can add up a bit, but don't expect major benefits if you do it every month. Another would be ccleaner to help remove temporary files from various sources.

Never seen heard of windows updates disabling features. Hasn't happened to me or in my work environment...

I talked to ASUS and they reported this happens a bit. I've googled on internet and it's full of various stories of people's computers working fine. Then a Win10 update rolls out and someone has lost functionality of something (different brands, not just ASUS), typically fixed by reinstalling the driver. I just did this for a friend's laptop last night. The only change in her system that I observed was linked to a recent Win10 update. Trackpad had basic functionality but lost the gestures ability. Previous to the udpate it was working fine. The next day after the update, gesture gone.

At least for ASUS, they see Win10 "breaking" connections due to the updates

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks guys, I didn't realize the update packages weren't removed. I will put CC Cleaner on my friend's computer. I don't believe she has it on there.

SO, what's the main advantage/s of owning Win 10 Pro, vs Win 10 for the personal user??

Back