• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is 3DMark 2001 SE crashing to desktop a sign that I OC'd too much?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gingo

when I OC'd my ti4200 to 295 core, 3DMark crashed to the desktop, when I lowered it back to 290 it didn't crash. Is that a sign that it has reached its limit?

D

Dragon_Engineer2

Yes.What type of cooling are you using?If your still using stock I would get a crystal orb.Thats what I have on my radeon 9700.

OP
gingo

gingo

I'm using the stock cooling.

I just ran 3DMark with mem at 550 and it restarts my computer... So it looks like 290, 545 is the limit. This sucks, its a golden sample video card too.. Maybe I'll let it burn in for a while and try to run it again...

OP
gingo

gingo

Oh, and btw, I'm using stock cooling, but I have an 80mm side intake fan on my case blowing right at the video card.

D

Dragon_Engineer2

I would still get a crystal orb and remove the stock heat sink that came with it.

OP
gingo

gingo

Does a better heatsink on the video card only allow a better core OC? Or will I be able to get more out of my memory too?

D

Dragon_Engineer2

It'll only allow for a higher gpu over clock.My gpu core wouldnt go above 340 with stock cooling.Now it does 380 ,I would be at 385 but the temps in my case are to high for it to stay at that.

OP
gingo

gingo

I think my CPU is fine... I've ran Prime95 for over 24 hours without a problem.

qwerty57

BANNED TROLL-Silversinksam
it aslo could be lack of memory voltage and or agp.. some mobo's such as the abit kx7-333 have a contoller chip that controlls both agp and ddr.. so you need to increase the ddr to raise the agp.. It could be your running out of voltage on either your agp,ddr otr vcore... the only time I ever get kick back are when i need more voltage to one of those.

mirko_3

is agp voltage really something important? I mean, as far as I know, most motherboards come without agp voltage regulators... well, ok, the newest ones do, but still... when is it that it becomes important? when the agp runs out of spec, when the bus speed is high, when you overclock your video card...when? It's something I've actually never thought of...

qwerty57

see on my abit and this is happening with some of the best overclockers on certian board is that even tho they can run say a 208mhz fsb 24/7 when the install the volt/modded card the max fsb they can run is say 198mhz and still get max clocks out of there graphic's card. or they can lower there overall VC speed and run the 206mhz fsb or such but at less gains.. I can run my fsb at 210 with my ti4600 at 330/740 but if I run it at max 363/801 I have to run it at 202-203mhz fsb.. and also my ddr voltage has to be at 3.24v.. even tho my memory runs perfect at 2.85v at 210mhz fsb with no video card overclock.. becasue you raise the ddr but in return is small amounts the agp volatge rasies.. my gigabyte mobo had to run agp at 1.8v volt's to run my ti4600 at 380/801 or i would get a lockup right awy :)

mirko_3

ok, so basically agp voltage is for stability when running overclocked video cards...
on my board I can't change agp voltage, but I can change vmem easily... so would that change my agp voltage or does that only happen on some boards?

qwerty57

it does on some mobo's such as the abit kt400's and kt333's.. Im just giving you some info on what to try.. increase your memeory voltage and see if it would help.. just a thought :)

OP
gingo

gingo

So how can I change my AGP voltage? Will I be able to in the BIOS?

My RAM voltage is 2.6 I think....